[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Trying to understand ?

Bookmark and Share
    Lesley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Trying to understand ?

HI all,I am fairly new to all this and am a wondering (thought I read it some where) what affect salinity has on your test kit readings.
    Is it true that if your salinity is at 1.023 you will get different readings than if is at 1.025 ?
    If so are the results of mag, cal and alk going to be higher or lower than the test kit suggests.
    The reason I ask it my parameters are all testing well but my salinity is 1.023 (a bit low ) If i slowly raise this with ATO water to 1.025 will this affect my readings.
    At the moment
    ph. 8.3
    alk 8.9
    cal 420
    mag 1250
    temp 26
    Thanks

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I think this chart might help you:
    Salinity Conversion Table
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Link doesn't work for me on Tapatalk I'd like to see it too!
    Last edited by jimsflies; 02-10-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Apparently I've found a bug in my code here... so while I'm trying to get the link working, here is a screen shot of the page

Name:  salinity-conversion.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  47.7 KB

CalmSeasQuest - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Thomas
    Awards Nano Contest Winner - Winner of 2012 Nano Contest

yes, your test results will vary (generally lower) at lower salinity levels. You should set your salinity, then test.

I'm not sure if you question was pertaining to temperature, but keep in mind that most refractometers automatically adjust for temperature - Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Trying to understand ?

It would figure that if your using less salt to make 1.023 your Alk & Ca & Mag would be slightly lower also. That's the way I think anyways

Did you take those readings right after a water change?
    What are you using to test your SG? Hydrometer or Refractometer? What test kit are you using?
    Last edited by MizTanks; 02-09-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Lesley - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hi. I am using a refractometer have Elos and sailfert tst kit for all parameters except phosphate is a Hanna checker & sailfert. I did the tests 24 hours after 200 ltr water change. !use Red Sea coral pro salt !

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Well you will have higher readings that soon after a water change, as they've yet to be depleted. Also Red Sea Coral Pro is known to have higher levels of the big 3 then say my Reef Crystals.
    Your readings are actually pretty good. Just a tad low on the mag. Nothing to be concerned about