[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Well Water

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default Well Water

I will be moving up north (Traverse City) and will be using well water for my aquarium. I have a Kent Maxima RODI unit but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions for using this water in my aquarium? Thanks.......

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Do not use well water
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Use the RO/DI for consistency.
    Domestic wells can easily be influenced by things like nearby septic systems and leach fields, agricultural runoff or leachate, leaking underground storage tanks or stormwater runoff since they are usually pretty shallow and often older so not constructed to todays standards. You may also have high mineral content which may not be desirable since salt mixes are designed for pure water so you get the correct amount of everything needed and nothing else.

The RO/DI will remove all that and give you the same pure water every time provided you do the minimal maintenance on it every 6 months or so.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

I would stick with your ro/di! What brings you to Northern Michigan?
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRat View Post
    Use the RO/DI for consistency.
    Domestic wells can easily be influenced by things like nearby septic systems and leach fields, agricultural runoff or leachate, leaking underground storage tanks or stormwater runoff since they are usually pretty shallow and often older so not constructed to todays standards. You may also have high mineral content which may not be desirable since salt mixes are designed for pure water so you get the correct amount of everything needed and nothing else.

The RO/DI will remove all that and give you the same pure water every time provided you do the minimal maintenance on it every 6 months or so.
    The chances for water quality being this poor is slim on a well that is used as a primary drinking water source for a residence, at least here in Michigan due to good aquifers and a long standing well construction code (assuming it was constructed with a permit and not someone's DIY job). You can have your water tested for total coliform and partial chemistry (chloride, fluoride, hardness, iron, nitrate, nitrite, sodium, and sulfate) to verify it is "decent" quality. Bacteria IME is not one of those things that is intermittent, once you have it, it generally doesn't go away on its own. Both of these tests together run about $30 to perform. Here is a link for more info: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/de...g_206706_7.pdf

I agree that using well water is not the best option. I think the logic is the same with well water as municipal water...it is best to start at a known quality (zero concentration of all minerals/contaminants) and add what you need back in with the salt mix and additives. You are likely to go through filter membranes more quickly and have higher reject water volumes due to iron and hardness in the water.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 08-16-2011 at 02:12 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Larry

I own an aquarium shop in central Michigan which has around 1500 gallons of saltwater, both fish and corals. We do not and never have used RODI. We pre mix our water in a large tub, then filter it through simple, air powered box filters containing carbon and phosban for around a week, then use it in both our coral and salt tanks. I have had zero issues with the water and saved hunreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years in electricity, wasted water, membranes and additives to put back into the water the things mother nature left there. In the meantime, a good friend of mine has spent two thousand dollars on a huge RO unit and automatic topoff. In addition, he has bought several refractometers and meters to measure impurities in the water in addition to a 300 gallon storage tank, yet his 500 gallon reef has crashed twice. I'll stick with my wellwater.

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tropical Tails View Post
    I own an aquarium shop in central Michigan which has around 1500 gallons of saltwater, both fish and corals. We do not and never have used RODI. We pre mix our water in a large tub, then filter it through simple, air powered box filters containing carbon and phosban for around a week, then use it in both our coral and salt tanks. I have had zero issues with the water and saved hunreds, if not thousands of dollars over the years in electricity, wasted water, membranes and additives to put back into the water the things mother nature left there. In the meantime, a good friend of mine has spent two thousand dollars on a huge RO unit and automatic topoff. In addition, he has bought several refractometers and meters to measure impurities in the water in addition to a 300 gallon storage tank, yet his 500 gallon reef has crashed twice. I'll stick with my wellwater.
    Wow Im going to try that Larry.
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Larry, while I will agree with you that using well water can work, I also think your being a bit irresponsible suggesting it as a _general practice. What are your out of the ground parameters? Well water is notoriously inconsistent from area to area. Well water can also be inconsistent throughout the year from the same well. The average reefer should be using ro/di.

Your buddy that crashed his tank twice, are you suggesting that ro/di water contributed to said crash? IMO, short of a power failure, two crashes just shows me the reefer in question is either negligent, ignorant or foolish.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

The problem is that everyone's water is different. Short of spending a couple thousand on water tests, you don't know what you really have to start with. This is why the RO/DI is good...it starts us a zero so that the only thing in the water is stuff we add ourselves.

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

I highly doubt RO water had any contribution to a tank crashing, IMO it is essential for a reefs health to be using RO water not to say it hasn't or doesn't work for some people to be using well water but it is highly recommend by anyone who knows anything about SW tanks to be using an RO unit so one can have the least amount of impurities in the water as possible. So ill say what pretty much everyone else is saying and go with the ro/di.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    The problem is that everyone's water is different. Short of spending a couple thousand on water tests, you don't know what you really have to start with. This is why the RO/DI is good...it starts us a zero so that the only thing in the water is stuff we add ourselves.
    + 100,000,000,000 jim lol well said
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last