[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Well Water

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

My last post was actually directed at Tropical tails NOT Larryandlaura, sorry about that! And again well water could and has worked. I just see no reason to go there.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

RO/DI provides stability and consistency. We keep critters in a glass box, under artificial light and out of their natural elements so we as reef hobbyists should provide the best care possible. One of those is a good consistent water supply. Unfortunately much of our country no longer has that, those with stable walls are in the minority. I know that because I started out my water career as a well driller back in 1974 and have stayed in the industry ever since.
    RO or RO/DI is not going to crash a system. Something else was involved.

CR Member
    First Name
    Larry

My friend is neither foolish nor irresponsible. I didn't say all well water was good or that RODI contributed to the reef's crash. I think that people tend to use cause and effect relationships in living systems that are not logical. Just the fact that you are changing water when using RODI could be why people see an improvement. They have high levels of nirtogen or ammonia, someone suggests they try RO water, they do a water change, which lowers the pollutant levels and they attribute it to the RO water. This is not a logical conclusion. One other thing to consider is self interest. Many of the people who encourage the use of RO water sell RO water. I also sell RO water, but I don't consider it something everyone must buy. To automatically recommend RO water in all circumstances without knowing anything about the tank conditions seems on the surface to be erring on the side of caution, but is also erring on the side of profit.

I didn't just decide to use my well water. I have a device wich measures the ppm of contaminants in water, which I employed. I was actually using RO water in my system up until a couple years ago. Then, a guy named John came to my shop. He claimed to have worked for a wholesaler, importer in Indiana, who had told him to filter regular water and that it usually could be used. He tried it and had no trouble. He told me, I tried it. I have had no trouble. If you wish to try, be my guest. I won't consider you "foolish or negligent" if you do.

CR Member
    First Name
    Larry

****postscript***

My friend stopped in last night. He finally figured out the problem. It turns out that he had high levels of Phosphate. You see, he was so concerned about the purity of what he was putting in his tank, he forgot about the levels that were already there. I have seen this response time after time. A hobbyist has trouble, and they are thinking of buying a better RO, or some other method of purifying the water going in, without paying attention to the basic biology. Time after time, it is the presence of nitrogen, ammonia or phosphate causing the problem, not the purity of the water you are putting in your tank.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Again, RO/DI provides stability and consistency. Well and surface water conditions change. In the case of a well the aquifer goes up and down with seasonal storms and groundwater recharge, this recharge also brings contaminants. With treated surface water say a storm rolls through, treatment techniques and chemical additions will change, as a result the treated water changes. It could be as simple as the pH is different or there could be additional sodiumhexametaphosphate added for corrosion control if the pH dropped.

The point is with RO/DI you have ultimate control of that water quality and you don't have to question if its the water or not. I'm glad well water works for you but again its not the norm and probably should not be recommended to someone new in the hobby, they have too many things to worry about to begin with. It is an option but not one most of us would take.

I don't sell RO units or even sell water, I troubleshoot and commission large water and wastewater treatment plants and distribution/collection systems so have nothing to gain other than helping someone new in the hobby avoid the mistakes many of us made 30 years ago when we started in the hobby so they don't get frustrated and quit.

CR Member
    First Name
    Larry

This:

"short of a power failure, two crashes just shows me the reefer in question is either negligent, ignorant or foolish. "

Seems rather rude and combatitive. If this is the way you folks discuss things, I'm glad to have other things to do. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have 120+ tanks to take care of. Enjoy your discussion,

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

IMO opinion there's no discussion or argument to be had, this thread could have answered the users question with one reply. its very simple, go with RO water.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

This comment( QUOTE]Your buddy that crashed his tank twice, are you suggesting that ro/di water contributed to said crash? IMO, short of a power failure, two crashes just shows me the reefer in question is either negligent, ignorant or foolish.)

was totally uncalled for. I'm offended to see this sort of talk here on CR. Makes me feel as I would if someone used the "f" word in my presence...YUCK!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

All right, all right!! No rudeness was indended, my apologizes. But, if the tank was crashing from excessive phosphates was that NOT negligence or ignorance? Perhaps the word foolish was uncalled for but I myself have been guily of negligence and ignorance both with regard to tanks and other issues. Tanks dont just crash on their own, plants don't just die on their own, there is always some causal agent be it environment or contaminate or even pehaps age, etc.
    If I yanked a few feathers I'm sorry! But I stand by the comment that if your tank crashes and it wasn't related to a power failure, then you almost certainly screwed something up (no shame in it but at least own it). Or something you added to the tank wasn't what it should have been, bad salt etc. But usually a crashed tank is just operator error.

Keep in mind ignorance doesn't mean stupid, it just means you don't know. Ignorance can be mitigated with education, foolish(stupid) cannot. One more time, foolish, probably negligence were bad choices of words and I'm sorry.
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last