[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dosing Ca/Mg/Alk manually

Bookmark and Share
    WoodShack - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default Dosing Ca/Mg/Alk manually

I recently purchased a 2-part system from bulk reef supply (with Mg). I have a few questions for anyone that has used this or similar products. When you add the alk does it always precipitate a bit? It was slightly cloudy and dissolved when it hit high flow (BTW I dose in the fuge). Also, is it common that Mg dosing involves such a high volume of fluid? To raise my mag 100 it is suggesting that I add 21ozs of the solution.

My parameters are:
    Ca 445
    dKH 9.5
    Mg 1350
    pH 8.1

I would like to raise my pH. How can I accomplish this with my 2part system? As you can tell I am very new to dosing.

First Name
    Tom

BTW I have a 75g with 29g fuge. My total water volume is about 80g

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I see your parameters are-

Ca 445
    dKH 9.5
    Mg 1350
    pH 8.1

Is this test predose or post dose? What levels are you trying to maintain in your tank?

Whay are you trying to bring the ca and dkh up to? How much of each equaly are you adding?

If you add too much at a time, it can percipitate. If you add larger quantities too close together, they can precipitate.

What you need to find out (per day) is how much your calc/alk goes down per every 24 hours, to find out how much you need to add every 24 hours.

Figuring these 2 peices of info might help with your percipitation problem.

Will be checking in for this info tomorow after noon some time. Then I can help you further.

A bit of other info could help as well-

What kind of corals are you keeping in the tank, and how densly coral populated is the tank?

Hope to help- when I first started 2 part dosing, I made a mess of things. Looking forward to helping you out as others have helped me.

First Name
    Chris

Dont exactly know where you are at with the 2 part dosing, but here is how I would start.

Test you water. get the results and write them down.

24 hours later, do it again, then 24 hours later, do it again.

Figure out how much your alk/calc is dropping per day.

Next step would be to figure out how much 2 part you need to bring them up to what you want the levels to be at.

Add the apropriate dosage, from the brs calculator (equally- whichever is heigher) to bring them up to what you want.

Next, daily, add the amount (equally) that you need to upkeep that level. The amount will be what you have found that your tank uses up in a 24 hour period, from the testing done in the first step.

Keep a record and do daily tests to keep track of things, and adjust apropriatly. Test at the same time a day every test, and add doses at the same time dayly.

After adding so much calc/alk additive you should have to add a certain amount of mag to replenish it. Gonna have to look into the mag addition. A little rusty on that point.

Raising ph can be done a couple ways. Only way I have ever used is kalkwasser dripping. It can be done with the 2 part, but you will need to start over testing you calc and alk for a while to figure out your tanks consumption of the two after the drip is started, as your needs will change with the adition of kalkwasser drips.

Get your kalkwasser drip going for a few days, then start at the first step (as stated above) of figuring out what your tank needs.

Hope this info helps. Any other questions- just ask. I know it can be confusing, and is a little hard to explain.....dont blame you if it confuses you. I know it did me at first!

Also- depending on your tanks usage and the salt you use and the frequency of water changes, the kalk drip might just take care of the need for 2 part dosing, minus keeping an eye on your mag level. Wont know till you try, and test for results.

First Name
    Tom

.....Wow..... I am in completely over my head, lol. My tank is very new (3 months). I have several Zoa colonies, mushrooms, 8 SPS (birdsnest/acro) frags, brain, favia, anemone, hammer, frogspawn, and will soon be adding a clam or 2.

To be honest I was told by some very good reefers that I would need to dose ca/alk/mg or get a reactor if I want to see good SPS growth. My only intention is to provide what is needed for healthy growth and maintenance. To be honest I'm having a hard time figuring out what params I want to be at. I see great reefs with Ca at 400 and great ones with it at 470. I see people running dKH of 7 and some of 11.

In all honesty it looks to me like I probably don't need to dose right now except for occasional maintenance. All I want to do is dose my tank with the proper things to provide an optimal environment. Ugh..... I don't even know what kalkwasser is haha.

I really appreciate your help though.

Those numbers are all predose, I just got the kit today.

First Name
    Chris

Good info to hear. Helps out imensly. Pretty much, all you have to do is take a water test, every day, at the same time of day, for the next few days, and post them here.

Dont dose anything while testing for a while. I am sure me, or someone else, can help you figure out a dosing schedule, and help you understand it all.

We were all over our heads at one point. Lets see where this new experiance can take you. You wont be over your head for long. Its much simpler than it all sounds.

Post your test results, and lets go from there.

A little more info will help-

What salt are you using, and what is your water change schedule?

Your water parameters look pretty good to me. Depending on your test results, it might be easiest, in the begining, to just try to maintain them as they are right now.

Looking forward to your next post with new test parameters. Dont let this intimidate you- you will be a better reefer because of it.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Im going to tag along on this one okay guys? I am in pretty much the exact same boat as Woodshack.

My tank is very new also, but my calcium needs are increasing almost every day. I have watched my calcium drop about 10 points each day over the past week or so. Just waiting for my Elos kits to get here before I really start to document anything.

My goals with my tank are to provide the best possible habitat, with as little tweaking and fidgeting as possible.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Tom

Will Instant Ocean Sea Salt raise my Cal? I was going down by 10 per day (430 yesterday). I topped off with saltwater to raise my salinity and today my Cal measures 450. Alk has been steady at 10 daily.