[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Duncan (immaculate regeneration)

Bookmark and Share
  1. Duncan (immaculate regeneration) Duncan (immaculate regeneration)

Information
    Type: LPS
    Scientific Name: Duncanopsammia axifuga
    Other Names: Whisker coral
    Color: Green
    Date Acquired: 2010?
    Purchased Price: trade
    Availability: No Frags at This Time
    Difficulty: Easy
    Growth Rate: Moderate
    Lighting: Medium
    Temperament: Peaceful
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Additional Information & Description

Duncan coral is a pretty forgiving coral. Able to thrive with good lighting alone it does grow faster with supplemental feeding. This shot is of the mother colony. The subtitle (a play on immaculate conception) is based on this corals ability to regenerate from just a nub.

Soon after this picture was taken (Oct 11th) I brought the coral to an MMMC meeting and fragged it. In the spirit of giving I gave all of the attendees a frag to take home, while keeping a few for myself. I also kept the "trunk" and almost threw it into the sump with the rest of the rubble. Here's what it looked like Oct 23rd...
    IMAG1130 - Duncan (immaculate regeneration)

and here it is as of last night (Dec 18th)...
    027019EA 2AA4 4245 9FD9 7C3A833AB259 3005 0000018661F72F8B - Duncan (immaculate regeneration)

Happy Holidays!
    Tom

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

One of my favorites, too! I think of them as the venus flytrap of the sea - what with the way they feed. Love 'em.

bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

yep mine will do the same thing looks to be the same strain of Duncans as mine
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Wow what a tough lil bugger! Love Duncan!! Really miss having them in my tank. Recently sold my purple as it out grew my tank. No means to frag it
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Wow what a tough lil bugger! Love Duncan!! Really miss having them in my tank. Recently sold my purple as it out grew my tank. No means to frag it
    Good thing I have a frag of this one waiting for you!

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    Good thing I have a frag of this one waiting for you!
    That is so awesome!!! I'll have to post a pic when it was only 1 head some 3yrs ago

CR Member
    First Name
    Doug

That is great Tom, and as one who received an frag thank you! Its doing great in my still too bare tank.....

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sparky_gm View Post
    That is great Tom, and as one who received an frag thank you! Its doing great in my still too bare tank.....
    I'm happy to share and glad that yours is doing well. I hope you're coming to the MCES swap... there will be lots of great deals to help fill your tank!

Tom

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by sparky_gm View Post
    Wish I could come to the swap. I'd surely have someone frag this monster for you to help fill your bare spots
    te9ypuru - Duncan (immaculate regeneration)
    Last edited by MizTanks; 01-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.

CR Member
    First Name
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Wish I could come to the swap. I'd surely have some frag this monster for you to help fill your bare spots
    te9ypuru - Duncan (immaculate regeneration)
    That looks great Miz and sure would look nice in my tank..... Hoping to score some nice corals at the swap, it will be my first swap so should be an great time. This is my first saltwater tank so trying to take it slow and not make too many mistakes. Tank is starting to take shape just still way too empty for now at least.....