[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Anyone have an opinion about Chili Coral?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default Anyone have an opinion about Chili Coral?

I did a search here on Chili and Chili Coral and couldn't find, necessarily, any in depth information on them. One of my favorite LFS's is going out of business and I've brought home a 6" around red finger, or chili coral. Is it non photosynthetic? Do I feed it as I would a sun coral? Can you tell me about this coral please? I am happy to hand feed the coral I just want to know more about it. I've seen Chili Corals offered on other sites but of course now I can't find the sites LOL.

I know, RESEARCH before you buy and you can find me in the Badgirl chair in the corner over there --------->

Help me find info on thes gorgeous specimine! I'd take a pic but our tank is pretty cloudy right now as hubby did some aqua scaping and the dust hasn't settled enough yet.

Hellllllppppp!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that stupidity has no limits!

seahorsedreams - Reefkeeper Registered User

I love my chili! Here's a pic a took a couple of days ago. He's in a hard place for me to grab a pic because there is a stress bow in the acrlyic in that one spot... blurs the picture.

chilicoral - Anyone have an opinion about Chili Coral?

He is all out in "bloom" before the lights go on. Soon as the actinics come on he starts retracting.

Yes, he is non photosynthetic. You can feed him cyclopeez or BBS. Yes, you can feed him much like the tubastrea except it is better to bath him in the food verses laying the food on the polyps.

Turbulent flow is very important. Don't stick him directly in front of a laminar type flow.... it needs to hit him from different directions.

A refugium is very beneficial to him. We've had a pod bloom and he has been SO stinking happy!

As you can see in the pic, mine is facing the wrong direction. They should be hung upside down for continued success. But we just moved and this is a temporary tank.... he will be placed upside down in his permanent home.

Renee

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

Alcyonium sp.

Common Name: Chili Coral, Chili Sponge, Red Finger

Lighting: N/A, non-photosynthetic

Aggressiveness: Low

Current: Medium to Strong

Hardiness: Moderate, good for aquarists with at least 6 months reef
    keeping experience.

Region: Indo Pacific on reef slopes with strong current. Also found
    in lagoons with strong tidal currents in shady areas attached to hard
    substrate.

Description: Small colony size, not generally reaching over 6 inches tall with finger like lobes or branches, extends small white feeding polyps. Colors can be red, orange, or purple.

Since this coral is non-photosynthetic (does not feed on light and contains no zooxantheallae) it must be fed on a regular basis. Any phytoplankton, zooplankton, micro food, and brine shrimp is accepted.

Due to this coral not getting overly large it is an excellent candidate for the smaller nano reefs. If placed in a nano reef, point feeding with a small eye dropper or plastic needled syringe is recommended, as free floating food is undesirable.

info taken from http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/?coral=6

Cheater! LOL.

Renee

CR Member

LOL Bobby gave me that info in a pager msg too. He's covering all the bases just like I did. (I paged him pleading for help LOL) It looks like mine, when it opens, will be huge because all closed up it is about 6" across! I've put him in a small cave but I think if he opens out he'll push himself out onto the floor.

We are aquascaping the tank right now so today I will be sure that we make a deep enough cave for him to open. I plan to turn off the water circulation for feeding and innundate him with dinner. It sounds like it eats small foods like zooplankton...isn't that a supplement? I know cyclopeeze is a supplement but I feed it to my tanks regularly anyway. Our serpent stars come right out when cyclopeeze is in the column they are waving their arms like Chiefs Fans LOL!

Keep the opinions coming, please, y'all always come up with great solutions! Bobby and Dreams....I can always count on you, Thanks!

Borneman recommends Oyster eggs are also good.

You're aware of it's long term survival odds, right?

Renee

CR Member

Yes, I'm aware it's long term survival is iffy but now that I have it I am going to give it my best! My near death sun coral rescue was a great success and the chili coral is in good health at this point. That's why I am asking so many questions in forums to gather information to give this little guy a good shot!

Where can I get oyster eggs? I've not seen them at my LFS nor have I seen them in the saltwater catalogs I receive. :-)

Marine depot carries the oyster eggs HERE.

It's the same peeps who put out DTs. If your LFS carries DTs see if they will bring in the oyster eggs.

I'm just another person trying to give it a shot. I really do try to avoid buying things with such a low success rate.... but every now and then a persons gotta try, right?

Renee

Just FYI... I use the oyster eggs, and everything seems to love them! That and cyclopeeze always gets an amazing feeding response in my tanks...

BTW, for those who tired their samples of Reef-roids... what are your thoughts? I didn't notice much here on my end.

K, what reef rods... hadn't heard about them.

Renee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last