[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

best placement for lobophyllia frag

Bookmark and Share
    jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

Default best placement for lobophyllia frag

So I picked this frag up a few weeks back at Kee's. And now I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to place it. Should I leave it on its side like in the Pictures or should I flip it so that the "mouth" is facing upwards towards the light ? I've tried it both ways, leaving it as is makes the sides puff up, and flipping it upwards makes the mouth puff up. So what do you think ?
    Attached Images Attached Images            

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

First im gonna answer your question.... i'd say just leave it, looks like its getting enough light.

but i know this isn't your fault but my gosh, who fragged that thing? does it even have a mouth? I feel sorry for that coral, its gonna take a LONG time for it to look nice.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lobos can be very tricky getting the right placement.

I have lost 2 VERY nice ones trying to get it right.....wish I had the answer- but i am still learning myself.

jstan - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jason

but i know this isn't your fault but my gosh, who fragged that thing? does it even have a mouth?
    first, not a clue as to who fragged it (like I said I got it at Kees, in there $15 frag tank) second, yes yes it does have a mouth. And at night it even opens just slightly and you can see the feeder sweepers peeking out.

And I agree it will take a very long time to grow back out again, if it even survives. I've been told a few times now by LFS I've shown the pic to(looking to get some more info on care and whatnot) and there general reaction has been "yea it'll most likely die" or as you said "who fragged that thing through the mouth?" " It may survive for a while but will probally die anyways"

The thing is though I dont really care how long it takes to grow out, as long as it survives long term. And considering I only dropped $15 bucks on it.... I look at this as a chance to hopefully witness a very cool coral grow out and become something beautifull to behold. The pics just dont do this piece justice. It literally "glows" all day and even more when the LEDS come on at night. So far as I can tell it's a mix of red, pink, hot/flourescent pink, dark green, neon green, yellow, gold, blue, purple, and a few shades of all those combined as well. In my opinion, its a diamond in the reef. So if any one has any Lobo tips on care and husbandry ( what they like to eat, lighting, flow, and such and such) please post and or PM me. As for this coral, I'll keep updating this thread or start a new one with new pics around once a month with it's progress.

Thanx for the few replys so far.

demonclownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Chatbox Menace

jason has fragged some of these before with success so he does know what he is doing. and i think it is a generous sized peice for $15 id grab it too. and ya it will take a couple years prob to look good.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris

Jstan- thats a really nice peice! I wish you the best of luck bringing it back!

Heres one I lost......alot like yours- but yours is much nicer colored!

Picture121 - best placement for lobophyllia frag

I put it in the shade, and spot feed it well....but still lost it. I should have fragged it while I had the chance.

Feeding tenticals is a good sign! Good luck bro! Its sooo hard to get really good lobo info....why? I dont know.....