[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals

Bookmark and Share
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals

I have been asked many times about the methods i use to frag my LPS.There are many tools that can be used to do this and the right tool for each coral makes the job much easier.
    The tools i prefer to use are a large flat head screwdriver,heavy duty shears/snips,a dremel
    w/carbide blade(diamond blade is much better though)and my personal favorite,a 4" angle grinder w/diamond blade.With each type of coral growth form(branching,encrusting,boulder,etc..)I use a different methodl.With branching corals such as Euphyllia spp.,Caulastrea spp.,SPS corals like Acropora spp.,I use 2 different approaches.Thin branched SPS corals can simply be snipped off with shears.Thick branched SPS require a dremel.With Euphyllia spp. they have a very porous skeleton.If the colony is small,you will most likely be able to use shears/snips to cut the branches apart.In a tightly packed colony,a dremel works nice allowing you to get into those hard to reach places.When cutting through the skeleton with the dremel,you only need to cut it about 1/2 way then you can break it apart easily due to the porous skeleton.Caulastrea spp. are also branching but have denser skeletons than Euphyllia.Sometimes shears/snips can work well on these corals but with the 4" grinder,you can hack up a colony alot faster and with greater precision.
    Now for the boulder/brain type corals(Favia,Favites,Platygyra,etc..),this is where the 4" angle grinder really shines.Alot of people will cut through the tissue when fragging these types of corals.Although this works,you end up with alot of tissue damage.I prefer to turn the coral over and cut from the bottom.Don't cut all the way through the coral,rather cut just deep enough to leave approx 1" of skeleton/rock where the tissue is at on the opposite side.Then simply take a screwdriver and pry the halfs apart(Gently).Have a sharp razor blade nearby so you can cut the tissue that might be hanging on to the two halves.FYI,study the coral carefully before cutting and look for the idea place to make the cut.Often,there will be certain places you can cut without having to cut through the corallites(where the polyps emerge from)
    With some of your smaller polyped LPS corals like Acanthastrea,precision cutting is often needed to make 2-3 polyp frags.This is where the dremel comes in hand as it will allow you to cut through the ceriod(joined together)corallites.
    Whenever you are ready to start fragging corals it is impotant to have all your tools layed out,an old towel on the counter,and 2 sepertate containers(i use the square ones you store leftover food in) of tank water.Make sure your "frag station" is well lighted too.
    Whatever corals you plan on fragging,especiaaly with Euphyllia spp.(FS,Hammer,torch),you want to try to get the polyps to recede before removing them from the tank.Then just place them on the towel and begin the cutting/clipping procedures outlined above.Immediately after the cutting,swish the frags vigourously in the one container to clean them,then remove them to the other(clean water)container.
    Repeat the process until the colony/colonies have been fragged.The frags are now ready to be superglued/.epoxied to LR rubble(if needed to be).Then they can go back into the display.Upon re-introduction,I recommend turning the lights out for that day while the coral heals..If done right,you will see very little exposed skeleton/corallites on the coral and the tissue will rapidly overgrow this.If you have poor water quality,excessive algae growth in your tank,then you night want to this as well.Take a little superglue gel and seal the outer margins of tisue/skeleton.This will help keep algae from invading the exposed skeleton.In conclusion,the most important thing you can now do is feed your corals and try to maintain low nutrient water quality.That way,the algae growth is slowed and the coral can regrow over the tissue that you might of accidentally damaged.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

a nice little tool I have found that works well on smaller branching type sps corals is a small pair of shears for cutting fingernails. I am not talking the little kind that fold up in your pocket. this is like a small pair of cutting pliers. I bought a pair at Walmart for like $6 they are sharper than heck and small so you can get into the nooks.
    fulltankshot 1 - Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals

Default pics of the Favites i fragged

Thanks Greg,I welcome all memebers to share there fragging experiences/techniques so we can compile the many different techniques used.
    BTW,here are 2 pics of the Favites brain that i fragged,the tank pi was taken the next day after the fragging.
    album showpagephp?pic id877 - Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals
    album showpagephp?pic id878 - Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals

Um ok I bought a fraged yellow devils hand and the spuer gule is not holding it to the LR whats up am I doing something wrong?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Always had lousy luck with super glue and most leathers, they always slime themselves out of the adhesive. A couple of other tricks is you can literally sew the frags down to a rock using a needle and monofilament fishing line, skewer it with a plastic toothpick (vertically or horizontally) then affix the frag to your rock, it will grow right over the toothpick (why the wood ones are not such a good idea here) & remove the toothpick later. Rubber bands will work too.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thanks I will try that

Pics of the Faviites i've mentioned above.
    fraggedfavites - Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals
    This pic was taken the following day after fragging.
    favites - Fragging stoney corals including boulder/brain type corals