[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

green star polyps and no luck!

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default green star polyps and no luck!

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was needing some help with my green star polyps. They were the only coral in my tank for the past 2-3 months (I say were because I just got a mushroom and am hoping for better luck). Anyway I bought them as a frag, I thought they were the neatest thing in the whole store. I asked what I do with them, only having a tank for less than 6 months and never having messed with anything like it I had no clue, I was told just put the small rock with the polyps in the tank and they will "grow like a weed". I was even told that I would eventually have to cut some of it away because it would grow so much so quickly. I was told this after I explained my tank, which I will explain to you:#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#29g, 96w pc lighting, 30 lbs live rock#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Now I have asked several people for the last 2-3 months why the polypshavent grown an inch much less grown from the small rock onto my live rock. I was just recently told to add DT's Phytoplankton, B-Ionic Calcium buffer, Seachem Reef Iodide and coral vital and they would grow like crazy. Up to this point the only supp I added was Kent Marine essential elements.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I know I'm long winded and I appologize, but I love my little polyps and really want them to fill the tank. PLEASE what do I do!!!!!!!!!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

I'm in the same boat as you. I've got some GSP in two different tanks and neither shows much if any growth. I don't dose anything though. Maybe we'll get some good advice.

Eric
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Green stars... pink stars... we've got them all over the place... wish I could isolate something we do specifically for them to encourage growth.... heavy lighting, strong to moderate flow and they get DT's weekly.... They do very well for us most of the time. every now and again they'll go flat for a week or more, never seeing a polyp, then poof they are back bigger and spreading like mad. Just my observation, but like xenia they seem to prefer a bit more nutrient rich water.

Then again maybe Angel is watering them with miracle grow or something when I'm not looking.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Do I need to peel the polyps off the rock and glue them down. I just found out you can do that, or will that not help. I was also told these will grow good with less light, but is mine at 96w for a 29g okay? What is a good water flow? I've got a fiilter thats 130 gph and on the other side a powerhead at 170 gph. Lastly there was a debate I'd heard betweenwhether to feedphyto or zooplankton, whats recommended?#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#On a good note my mushroom looks bigger and its only been a week!#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Personally i don't thank you need Any of that for whit you have
    JMO but i thank a wast of $$$
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

What are your GSP's close to in your tank. They don't get along with some coral, and there are many coral that don't like them either. It's possible that whatever it's near may be stinging the mat. I'd continue dosing your tank with DT's. I mix the DT's in some tank water on the side, fill my baster and spray my zoas, star polyps and a few others directly with it. Mine really responds to that treatment, but I get accused of spoiling the inhabitants of our tank. As long as your mat still shows healthy color, they should wake up when they are ready with a healthier look. I wouldn't suggest peeling them off the rock they are on. If there's part of the mat hanging free from the rock, cut it off and put it on another rock. Then you'll have another rock started. I use rock that has deep grooves on it, and just tuck the piece of mat into a space where it can't get out...it doesn't even need to be laid out flat. I find it works better than gluing it down flat. I try not to use glue on these because they seem to be sensitive to it, but I know that other people do. The one time I used glue, it took forever for the piece to even look healthy. It turned more of a gray color and looked dead for a long time. Try moving them to a higher point in your tank, closer to the light and better flow. We are running a 400 watt metal halide in the middle of our 180G, and a 250 watt metal halide on each side of that. We will be changing up the two 250'sW to 400W, as everything is pretty happy. I make sure my coral are placed accordingly for their light requirements, and also to make sure that the corals are happy next to it's neighbor. The Star Polyps go into a quiet mode on occasion where they just do absolutely nothing. I have one rock now that is "dormant" at the moment. Last time it did that, it came back so pretty and with more color than it had before. We have a large piece of rock that's like shelving. It's a focal piece in our tank full of GSP's, and they went through this phase. The amount of time it took to come back was quite long, and it was so bare looking that I thought the GSP's had it died. So I moved my corals around and decorated the rock with other corals and such. Low and behold, it seemed like 2-3 weeks later, and suddenly my corals were surrounded by new stronger and healthier polyps. They also shed a thin layer of skin off the mat just before they grow back. I have 4 types of Star Polyps. I have green ones with longer extensions, and the other green stars with short extensions that look like little green flowers. My pink stars are the same....long polyps on one type, and short on the other. All are growing like wild fire, and some are spreading to places I really don't want them. My feather duster's tube is full of GSP's. It looks like a hairy necked teather duster now. I have several frags to take to the LFS that I just put at the bottom of the tank so they don't attach to anything else in the tank. They are doing fine also. I do think that they prefer a nutrient rich water, clean and clear and monitored with the test kit. Our tank is filled mostly with softies also. I have no idea if that makes a difference or not, but that is the environment our are living in. I'll try to post some photo's. Good luck with yours!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#well your tank is still fairly new. I would just give it some time. keep up on your water changes and keep your parameters in check. I had a small colony that I started with and allof a sudden they just took off. that is the main key in this hobby is patience. its like zooanthids and mushrooms. all of a sudden in my tank I have zoo's that are growing a polyp a week. just hang in there.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

My GSP grow like crazy. Do not "peel" them from the rock. What I have dome is I just set the polyps down next to some other rock and they encrust the rocks over a short period of time (maybe a month).
    I use DT's every other day, I used to use zooplankton but the results have been way better using the phyto like DT's.
    Make sure your water parameters are in check. I have noticed that water changes will cause my GSP's to close up for a period of time but they reopen.
    Happy Reefing!

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#hey guys what are d.t.'s#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    HEREI GO AGAIN !!!!

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

Phytoplankton
    http://www.dtplankton.com/phytoplankton/main.html
    MMMMM, YUMMY!
    Does anyone out there have any experience with DT's Oyster Eggs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last