[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

low temperature vs. zoanthids

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    bigbill - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bill
    Awards Grow Out King - 2011 Grow Out Contest Photo of the Month MBI Participant

Default low temperature vs. zoanthids

well i have had my frist set back with my tank not sure how bad it is yet i have been useing a fan to keep the temp down in my tank. well yesterday i feel a sleep with it on when i woke up the temp was down to 72.3 only thing i have seen that may have been hurt was my new zoas. the closed head use to be purple now they are kinda clear and only haf of them are opening did i kill these poor thing ?
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin
    mbisite.org/mbi_sig.aspx?u=bigbill&img=2

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Given what you're describing and that they're Zoa's I'd say it's too soon to tell. They could be releasing mucus as a stress reaction, but typically it takes a couple days to really tell if a coral is dying or just stressing. I've seen them come back from some pretty low odds.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Keep an eye on them and keep us posted.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

What temp is your tank normally?

I'm thinking everything should be fine. I'd rather have a too cold incident than too hot.

A fan bring the temp down to 72 sounds like a big drop for just a fan...do you already run AC, I assume?

First Name
    Bill

yea i have ac and tank runs at 76.7 for the most part i dont let it get over 78.7
    I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
    Steve Irwin

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

you need a controller for the fan or just put it on a timer to coincide with the hottest part of the day/halide. You might be able to get a cheap used ranco controller if you post a WTB.

dcmartinpc - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Don

78.7 is not that high at all, unless you have cold water stuff. In the summer, my tank gets to right at 80 and I don't worry about it at all.

I second a controller to turn those fans on and off. It is the only real security, or hook them up to the same timer/switch as your lights. Easy way to turn them on and off.

Don

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

another backup if you cant afford a controller is keep your heater set to turn on at 76 so that if the fans get left on by accident they cant cool it below that point

I personally run my heater year round but I keep my ac set at 65 in my house so the tank is always above room ambient
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

First Name
    Bill

same i run the heater year around too here was on but still temp was low
    Steve Irwin

fawkes - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

I'll third (or whatever) the controller. I set the heater control higher than I would want it and connect it to the controller and then use a fan and AC to cool the tank. The controller was one of the best $100 I have spent. It does mean that I have to adjust the heater if I should ever use it in a standalone mode. I have a half a degree spread between the cool setting for the fan and the setting for the heater to keep them from thrashing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last