[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Plate Coral Tentacle 'Rotting'

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Plate Coral Tentacle 'Rotting'

So I came home from work today, and noticed my plate coral was completely buried under gravel where the Pistol Shrimp had been working on one of his entrances. I carefully pulled it out, and noticed on the underside, it's skin was torn and it was 'white'/bare.

Once I managed to catch the shrimp and fixed the tank back up, I noticed what appeared at first to be algae growing on the plate. After closer inspection, it appears that some of it's skin rubbed off; this is brand new, and wasn't there last time I'd picked up/moved the coral, and I'm aware of just how carefully they need to be handled. Doesn't mean I didn't make a mistake, but I don't think it was me.

At any rate, what I thought was algae appears to be connected to the plate, and it's either skin or a tentacle, it's grey-brownish, and on the same ridges where the skeleton is exposed.

Is there anyway I can help my plate recover? Or, knowing how sensitive they can be, is it probably toast? If I can do anything for it, like a dip, or anything, I'll do what I can.

CR Member

Pistol is going back to RP tomorrow, he's caught. And plate is in low flow/light. I'll keep an eye out on it. Thanks, Chris.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

If you think for sure the plate won't pull through I have heard of people turning them over and they will form a bunch of babies. Maybe someone can weigh in with how that worked out that has experience.