[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Are some morphs prone to algae??

Bookmark and Share
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Are some morphs prone to algae??

After reading MizTanks comment about loosing the battle with HA and her Kedds Reds colony, made me wonder, "Are some zoathinds or palythoa morphs more prone or susceptible to algae?"

I've actually had a very similar problem with the same morph over the past 5 months. I purchase a mini colony or frag of about 20 heads. Of which quickly became infested with HA and Byropsis. Weekly it seems I would prune the plug. I began to suspect the plug so I changed it. Also fragged the coral. Still issues. I even thought to change glues. All in all its been fragged probably 3 times, on 4 different plugs with 3 types of glue. Still the zoa's become over ran with algae. To this day I have only 3 polyps left and just got done finger pruning them for about 20 minutes. I've also experienced similar or should I say identical issues with Tubb's Blue morph and Bam Bam's morph.

Few thats my long story, anyone else?!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ReeferRob; 04-04-2010 at 09:55 PM.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I don't know about certain zoas being prone or not to algae but what i see in your pic is definitely bryopsys get your mg up to kill it other wise it will just keep coming back with a vengeance

I have heard that tech m works the best for mg supplement that kills it 1600 and above is what you want to shoot for to kill demon grass
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

CR Member
    Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I have this issue only in my fragtank. Thanks for the info I was wondering how high to raise my mg to kill this stuff.

tazzy695 - Reefkeeper CR Member

remember to only raise it by 100 per day
    I have been reefing from 08-2007 till 5-2011

reef tanks are like wifes you have to give them some attention every now and then

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Thanks Tazzy I am well aware on how to battle byrposis. The picture was just added for interest and color, LOL.

I was curious to see if others have found certain morphs to always be infested with algae or not.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    After reading MizTanks comment about loosing the battle with HA and her Kedds Reds colony, made me wonder, "Are some zoathinds or palythoa morphs more prone or susceptible to algae?"

I've actually had a very similar problem with the same morph over the past 5 months. I purchase a mini colony or frag of about 20 heads. Of which quickly became infested with HA and Byropsis. Weekly it seems I would prune the plug. I began to suspect the plug so I changed it. Also fragged the coral. Still issues. I even thought to change glues. All in all its been fragged probably 3 times, on 4 different plugs with 3 types of glue. Still the zoa's become over ran with algae. To this day I have only 3 polyps left and just got done finger pruning them for about 20 minutes. I've also experienced similar or should I say identical issues with Tubb's Blue morph and Bam Bam's morph.

Few thats my long story, anyone else?!
    WOW! My bam bams got over run also~actually I'm in the process now of trying to save what few polyps I do have left...
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Bubble algea is a killer also....I am fighting it right now, on a few frags plugs.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

My first Kidds Redd colony, I lost almost the entire colony because it was infested with Api and no matter how many I killed, more just seemed to pop up. Lost the colony down to a single polyp - finally got all the api killed off, and its finally starting to make a come back. No issues with algae though. I've found the best thing for fighing algae, cyano, diatoms, bacteria, fungal, or protozoal infections on zoas is to actually get them into some really hard flow. That more than all the dipping I've done seems to be the most helpful, but I've recently had some bacterial/fungal/protozoal issues cropping up in a few colonies, so I'll be tagging along to see if anything shows up thats effective.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Re: Are some morphs prone to algae??

The algae in my tank is more prevelant on the LR sitting directly in front of the intake vents-the side fartherest away from these vents is actually algae free!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com