[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

SPS/metal Halide$$$

Bookmark and Share

Default SPS/metal Halide$$$

Is it possible to keep Acro's under non-halide lighting? I know the watts per gallon formula is not gospel anymore, but why couldn't it be done with the correct wattage and spectrum of Vho and fluorescent? On my 75 I have one 4x56 and a second 2x96 watt fixtures. In places my rock work comes within 6 inches of the lighting, how could this be inadequate. I think it can be done, so I bought a small acro frag to give it a go! More to follow... By the way my water parameters are dead on.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

First there is no set in stone rule about only halides for keeping SPS coral, it is being done with any fluorescent tube brighter than a NO. Where halides really shine (pun intended) is for deep penetration of the water column, they have more punch to get the usable light down to the lower portions of the tank. Aside from that, the spectral output can be closely mimicked with fluorescents.

How about some pics to compare against later?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.