[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

True or False, did this REALLY and TRULY happen ?????

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    MUCHO REEF - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default True or False, did this REALLY and TRULY happen ?????

A pharmacist who is a local well known keeper/grower of zoanthids and palythoas had an idea, so he decided to act on that idea and this is what happened.

His goal was to collect 100 of the brightest most colorful zoas and palys for his new 300 gallon reef tank. Not wanting to wait forever for maximum coverage and growth, he sought ways to rapidly increase his polyp count. He won't say how, but he got a hold of 10 ml of Synthetic Human Growth Hormones not yet approved by the FDA and injected various amounts into ten 5 polyp frags each attached to a 4" x 4" rock on March 1, 2010. He then placed each of the rocks along the front of his reef tank to make and notate daily observations along with photographic updates on a daily basis at the EXACT same time each day. He went so far as to run a time lapsed underwater camera on 2 of the colonies 24/7 as he ran his moonlights throughout the experiment to record for the first time ever, real time growth as it happened.

On March 3, just 48 hours later, he noticed new growth of 1 to 2 polyps on 8 of the 10 rocks he seeded. To his surprise, on March 6, the eight rocks now had 6 new polyps each, the other 2 rocks begin to catch up and both were now 1 polyp shy each of the exact same amount of growth. This growth pattern continued and on April 3, just one month later, 9 of the 10 rocks were now 100 % completely covered and were now growing onto the substrate. He took a total of average polyp growth on each rock by photographing each rock and counting the polyps individually from the photograph. He had an average of 246 zoanthid polyps on each of the 5 zoa rocks he seeded, and an average of 180 palythoas on the 5 paly rocks he seeded. The palythoa count was much less as the polyps themselves were bigger. If that wasn't shocking enough, all of the polyps on each of the 10 rocks were much larger, more colorful then they were when taken from the mother colonies.

Now here's the most shocking thing he discovered, he duplicated the same results in April and May of this year !!!!!!!!

Before I share the results on Wednesday at 9 PM eastern time, here's the question. Did or didn't it truly happen? Fact or fiction? Possible or impossible? You may think you know the answer, but I have something sitting in front of me and I will post it in 3 days. You may really think you know the answer.....but do you? Please engage the topic, minus the humor. I want to know what you think. Is it plausible, possible, probable, real or fake? Give me more than just a no or yes, give me your feedback/opinion. What say you?

Mucho Reef

PS, There was something else he placed in the water that each of you have in your medicine cabinet or should have I should say. He believes it caused the ????? ????? within the ??????????? ????? to mutate, hence the exponential growth. HMMMMMM !!!!

The answer is hidden within this thread.
    Last edited by MUCHO REEF; 06-13-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Please stop fragging your frags.......you'll eventually do more damage than good. Just let them grow.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I'm going with no it didn't happen ...but instead the polyps grew taller.

Myteemouse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Tank of the Month

I also think bad things happened if he tried this..
    President of Zoaholics anonymous.
    still on first step of twelve

medwards - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

Ill say might be plausible. Rubbing alcohol and robitussin do strange things to me. Never any growth, but im not a zoo/paly.

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I was not me lol.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by medwards View Post
    Rubbing alcohol and robitussin do strange things to me.
    I'll bite...what?

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Oh BTW, I would say no. It is human growth hormone. It may work with other mammals (for example insulins derived from pigs used in humans)but zoa are too different than humans so most likely no. There are certain hormones that do work between the branches of animal kingdom but they tend to be simple things. The growth of a species is a pretty specific trigger IMO.

handlevandal - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jacki
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

There are claims that HGH can create tissue growth in human organs and raise metabolism levels so that makes sense to me but I still can't get past the concept that the first "H" stands for HUMAN, and zoas and palys are not humans. I'd be looking more at whatever the other thing was that he put in the tank.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I have a feeling the growth hormone might work, but also have a feeling this did not happen.

Wonder what was placed into the tank from a medicine cabinet??? Maybe hydrogen peroxide?? Looking forward to the outcome on this one!

Bluering - Reefkeeper CR Member

I'll say the HGH worked on the zoanthids and palys since they stimulate growth and cell reproduction. But he also used Iodine, which helped with the rapid growth of the zoas/palys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last