[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

What's wrong with my Favia?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default What's wrong with my Favia?

Is this normal behavior?639cd578 c330 b1a3 - What's wrong with my Favia?

Sent from my iPhone while chasing Forest Gump!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

It is normal for them to do that but I think those protopalys have a pretty potent sting and are most likely engaging in chemical war far. It would probably be best to move the favia!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I had my candycane stung a couple of days ago and that is what it looks like. The indented area anyways.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Will it survive? I've moved her already. I've been trying to get rid of those palys forever. Culling them back with every WC.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Will it survive? I've moved her already. I've been trying to get rid of those palys forever. Culling them back with every WC.

It will be fine. I would encourage you to use extreme caution while handling those protos however. They have one of the more potent stings, as I mentioned above, and are know to slime heavily and excrete palyotoxin which could be very dangerous for you Jaime if you get it in an open wound or cut. They are beautiful but also one of the most dangerous pieces to keep.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    chris

Mine is fine, just a little scar lol. I had a chalice reach out and touch someone. I have those same palys also. It was a hitchhiker on some garf grunge. I babied it along lol since it just started as a bump on a shell. I thought they were yellow polyps at first.

That is funny, mine sprung up in some bubble algae too. I wonder if there is something to that?

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Another Favia question: My X-Mas favia is growing very well. Lots and lots of eyes or mouths what ever they're called, but I never see the sweepers come out to feed. Day or night. Unless they're coming out in the wee hours. How else can it be feeding?

1st pic 8/7/2010

2nd pic 12/10/2010
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MizTanks; 12-17-2010 at 01:44 PM.

First Name
    chris

My favites (ice blue, red and green mouths) looks like your profile pic a little actually just seems to get a little puffy and stuff sticks to it. I dont see feeders on that one, maybe they are similar. The ones that are obviously feedings mouth look like the turn a bit inside out with a ring of feeders around it. Some get really long. I cant remember the real difference but favites, favias and there is one other at least that seem to get lumped together by names have some different properties.

HTH lol but probably just confused you more?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by cg5071 View Post
    My favites (ice blue, red and green mouths) looks like your profile pic a little actually just seems to get a little puffy and stuff sticks to it. I dont see feeders on that one, maybe they are similar. The ones that are obviously feedings mouth look like the turn a bit inside out with a ring of feeders around it. Some get really long. I cant remember the real difference but favites, favias and there is one other at least that seem to get lumped together by names have some different properties.

HTH lol but probably just confused you more?
    Yeah I see little sweepers on the outside of the red too.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    My X-Mas favia is growing very well. Lots and lots of eyes or mouths what ever they're called, but I never see the sweepers come out to feed. Day or night. Unless they're coming out in the wee hours.
    "Sweeper" tentacles are used for defense against other encroaching corals (or offense to encroach!). Some corals will never extend their "feeder" tentacles if they obtain enough energy by photosynthesizing, or food simply falls on the polyps by itself. Of course, they could also only be coming out in the wee hours

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last