[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Zoanthids

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
    zoo-a-holic - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Zoanthids

Hi, i am new here and to reefing. I was wondering if my 55 watt compact florescent will be enough to keep zoanthids? It is on a 20 gallon tank! Please Help
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

High high above the water is the light and what color (K) is the bulb? What is the footprint of the tank, it is a 20g long or high? Only ask as there are so many different tanks out there now, what used to be a standard size for a tank is becoming hard to find.

But a 55w 50/50 10K/actinic will most likely do 'okay' at mid tank depths or higher, though 4-5 watts (or more) per gallon would be better.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

It is the standard tank, the light is about an inch off the top and it is the 10000K actinic.

I have a shortage of money though so i cant go any bigger with my lighting
    Will i be able to keep them alive????
    120 Gallon Reef With Starfire Front, 2 overflows and 30 Gallon Sump. Mag 18 on the Return. Lit by Aqua Light Pro Deluxe. 2 250 Watt HQI Halides and 2 96 Watt PC Actinics all in one. ASM G-2 In-Sump Skimmer. 2.5 years in the making.

I have a 12 gallon with 36 watts of pc lights over it. I have zoos from top to bottom. You should be fine - they do fine in low light and grow faster and bigger in higher light.

I did it! I went to my LSF that is about 2 hours from me and i baught some zoos. Now i know theye are not the "hard things" but i am quite proud of myself for getting them and so far they seem quite happy.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Zoanthids are often found in areas that are shallow and are subjected to intense light.Like Smatney said though,they are very adaptable and can thrive in lower lighting.Possibly because many today are captive raised and have been acclimated to less light.A clue as to their lighting requirements is there size.Small polyps that have short stalks barely extending from their mat and are tightly packed together are collected from areas of high water movement/lighting.Large polyps,longer stalks,less tightly packed suggest that they might have come from areas of lower water movement and light.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Congratulations!! They are one of my favorite inhabitants all over my tank! I went pretty crazy for a while and was buying all the pretty colors I could find. They are responsible for the color in our tank! I'm amazed me at how much they have grown and spread since the day I got them. They are the cutest anemones I've ever seen! Not a bad choice IMO for your first pick! ...and the fun begins!! Aren't you glad now that you didn't quit that day you said you were going to? I hope all goes well as your tank keeps growing! We love pictures on this board, so we'll be looking forward to seeing your new zoas!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Here is a picture of my new zoanthids. Let me know what you think!

2k2aa1a8e76b - Zoanthids

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looks like a few hours driving was well spent. Really good looking colony of critters you have there.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thank you, i think i am going to take the drive again soon but i need to save up some more money so i can buy MORE!!! Im addicted!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last