[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

zoas not opening

Bookmark and Share

Default zoas not opening

i have noticed that my zoas in my tank haven't been open for the past couple days. i just did a param check and this is what i found
    ph 8
    alk 1.7
    nitrate 0
    nitrite .05/0 (the colors for these are really close)
    ammonia 0
    sg 1.026

i have also noticed the the powerhead in my tank seems to be going cause its not really flowing well in there. which of these do you think that is causing them to stay closed? also for my params i was planning on getting a blk and wht clown for my tank but no i am not sure, what do you guys think i shoud do?
    thanks
    ADAM

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

how long have the zoo's been in the tank and what kind of lighting do you have in there. and are the zoos in direct flow????
    fulltankshot 1 - zoas not opening

they have been in the tank for more then 6 months now. they are not in direct flow but they did get a good amount. right now though they arent really getting any cause of the pump going. i need to order a new one. its funny cause all the zoas are closed but the candy cane is doing really well.
    ADAM

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've read that overdosing calcium, bicarbinates and carbinates that can affect corals from opening. Are you dosing any 1 or 2 part calcium buffers? Have you tested your calium?

i have never done any dosing for my tank. i haven't tested the calcium in the tank in a while cause the test that i bought was trashed. i will go out today and get one. i will let you guys know.
    thanks for the help.
    ADAM

sorry that it took so long. i had to go outand get a ca test.
    the ca in my tank is 400 ppm. this is the low end of normal right?
    thanks in advance.
    ADAM

Sparky - Reefkeeper CR Member

400-425 ppm is natural sea level, Your in the ball park, Are you zoo's near the bottom, I have put all of mine on the bottom at the base of the Live Rock pile in medium current and they have done really well. Some have done better that others, I just keep moving them until they take off or die off.

yes they are all near the bottom of the tank, or at least 80% of them. i put a new pump in there and it seems to have helped. they look like they want to open now. i am going to give it a couple days to see what they do.
    thanks for the help.
    ADAM

are there any other tests that i should run on my tank to see if i can figure out what is going on? the reason i ask is cause i am going to be placing an order from fosters and smith for a stronger pump and some other stuff and didn't know about anyother tests that could help me out.
    thanks
    ADAM

greg97527 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

test ur phosphate levels,nitrate and ammonia.
    It's all about the reef. :YEAH: