[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

April 2006 Tank of the Month is bobby@funkyreef.com

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Exclamation April 2006 Tank of the Month is bobby@funkyreef.com

On behalf of the Captive Reefing, I would like to announce our April 2006 Tank of the Month Winner. Congratulations goes to bobby@funkyreef.com!! Way to go, Bobby!!
    "Speech! Speech! Speech!"
    bobby totmapril 06jpg - April 2006 Tank of the Month is bobby@funkyreef.com

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

Default Thanx for voting

First of all thanx for voting on the TOTM pole, and thanx to everyone who participated.

Tank specs:
    55gal. long tank w/20gal long sump (not running at this time because the pump died). All the filters you see in the pic will be gone when i get a new pump. I bought this tank and stand "used" for $100, added LR and LS. as of now i am only running PC 4x65 lighting, (MH to be on in the next few days, so i can go SPS).

Tank Inhabitants:
    Fish:
    2 False percs
    2 Pink skunk clowns
    1 Green Chromis
    5 Turbo snails
    10 Red legged hermits

No my clowns do not fight.

Inverts.:
    Browns polyp rock
    Candy coral
    Pulsating xynia
    Monti. Cap.
    Various Zoas (8 colonies)
    Crocea Clam
    2 Cabbage Leathers
    Cup Coral
    3 Anthelia colonies
    Bubble Coral
    Large Toadstool Leather
    Green Bubble Tip Anemone
    Frogspawn
    Rhodactis Mushrooms
    Green Clove
    Green Hairy Mushrooms
    Yellow Star polyps
    Rock Flower Anemone
    Green Star polyps
    Torch Coral
    Green Finger Leather
    Open Green Brain
    Giant Mushroom
    Purple Gorgonia

I'm know i forgot something so i will add it when i think of it.

:sign2:

Thanx Again to all that voted,

Congrats tank looks great what size a pump do you need I may have one laying around hehe

First Name
    Bobby

well i had a mag 7 but it died so a friend in a local club (Louisville Marine Aquarium Society) is selling me the same pump for $15. I should be able to pick it up today. thanx

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sweet tank... definitely a small reminder of mine in it's earlier days. CONGRATS!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

CONGRATULATIONS your tank is looking good and i can see it is going to
    look even better.
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Glad to see a nice tank such as yours Bobby to represent CR's TOTM.

First Name
    Bobby

thanx everyone and this tank is about ready to be left alone to "grow out" some more. i believe that it is just about at its limit with coral. maybe i'll add a few more fish, but i think we are going to start on the other 55gal. next. get ready LFS ... i need rock. lol.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

Bobby, good job buddy!!! See are you glad that I made you enter now!!!!! Awesome tank!
    fulltankshot 1 - April 2006 Tank of the Month is bobby@funkyreef.com

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Hey Bobby, have you ever thought of making your own rock? Like everyone else, we had to buy our initial live rock, but if there's a way to save some $$$ we will do it. We heard about making our own rock with a recipe that contains: 4 parts crushed oyster shell, 1.5 parts Portland Cement, and then add enough water to make a thick, workable consistency. The more water you add, the weaker the rock will be. You will need some big tubs to create your shapes. To make cool shapes, use dry crushed oyster shells to create your rock, add branches, make caves and so many other neat shapes. You get better at it the more you you play with it. This can be a lot of fun if you have others that want to try it also. Sometimes when you think it's going to be the ugliest rock in the world. and wait the 48 hour drying time...you'd be so shocked as what the rock will look like when you unearth it from all the oyster shell used to help you make cool shapes. Some of our best rocks we've made have been accidents! Clean up all the extra stuff from your first batch, and save it for use in the next batch. It can be messy so don't forget to put paper under your entire work area. Now to cure the rock: Fill up another bucket "rubbermaid tubs are superb for this", or even put a few in the tank of your toilet, only if you don't use bleaching agents or that blue stuff in your toilet. Every flush of the toilet makes the rock cure faster. Curing the rock takes approx. 6-8 weeks followed by 2 weeks in salt water, and after that it's off to the reef tank fo become real live rock! It's exciting to see the changes happen as the rock becomes live. We start a batch when we expect to use more in another tank. It's so handy to have it standing ready and waiting in salt water whenever you need a piece. I know that it sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn't all that bad! We have a good time making it and saying what it's going to be, and then unearthing it reveals something that looks way different than you had in mind. Generally that makes for a more natural looking rock. This rock also makes the best base rock. After a while, you won't even be able to tell the difference between homemade rock, and the rest of the live rock you put in your tank to begin with. Give it a try! ...Angel
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last