[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

CR's Tank of the Month - June 05 - Reef_Angels 180G

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default CR's Tank of the Month - June 05 - Reef_Angels 180G

Thanks to Repto for the nomination, it is my pleasure to announce the TOTM Judges decision for the Captive Reefing Tank of The Month for June 2005, your own Administrators' 180G reef tank, I give all the credit to Reef_Angel, she does all the aquaterior decorating and cleaning and I manage the water column and electrical/mechanical stuff.

dakar reefaangel180 June 05 - CR's Tank of the Month - June 05 - Reef_Angels 180G

Tough to write your own award but here is a little info about our tank:
    Tank Size-180 gal (260g total water volume)
    Age-8 months
    Tank Focus-Mainly Softies and LPS corals
    Lighting-Display - 900w Iwasaki Halides, 260w PC 460nm actinic, refuge #1 - 2x75w PC floods @ 2900K, refuge #2 - 2x120w PC floods @ 2900K.
    Filtration-300lbs+ LR, 2" sandbed, tons of macro algaes, 30w UV sterilizer.
    Equipment-berlin skimmer,MAG 9.5 and MAG7 returns through spraybars.
    Fish-Sailfin Tang, Yellow Tank, Coral Beauty, Scooter and Lawnmower Blenny, Engineer Goby, Mandarin, false percula clown (nemo) and a dozen Green Chromis (Angel's Valentines Day roses).
    Corals-highlights, 20+ varieties of Zoanthids, button polyps, yellow polyps, a couple frogspawn, bubble coral, pink and elongated varieties of Xenia, Montipora Digita, Flower Pot Coral, Pasta Coral, Cats Paw, sinularia, cabbage leather, pagoda cup, and a green slimer. (many not listed)
    Inverts-astrea snails,mexican turbo snails,cerith snails, nassarius snails, a queen conch,blue legged hermits, peppermint shrimp, coral banded shrimp, skunk cleaner shrimp, brittle star, serpent star, blue linckia star, feather dusters, and a trio of sea cucumbers'
    Maintenance-weekly 35g water changes, baked baking soda and pickling lime added to top off daily, gravity fed
    Feeding-fish are fed daily, coral are fed weekly brine shrimp, DT's phytoplankton, and Cyclopeez.
    Favorite inhabitants-Sailfin Tang
    Problems I've Overcome-breaking the calcium cycle, stayed over 500ppm until recently with no supplements, moderate battle with cyano that required almost daily attention to eliminate.
    Whats Next?-Getting the walltank completed and give keeping seahorses a whirl.

Additionally,we would like to take a moment to thank Bugzme for serving his term as a TOTM Judge, your efforts have been greatly appreciated, our home here is a reflection of all of our members efforts, Reef_Angel will stand in your place for her term. Again our thanks!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Most say your tank for just 8 months looks all full good will deserved
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Congrats. :D

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default How the 180G. Came to Be!

Seems we need to expel a few myths that we've been hearing about our tank on the Captive Reefing grapevine. It may seem like our 180G tank was populated very quickly, but I think what everyone is forgetting is that we moved our already established 55G tank into our 180G dream tank, and that gave us our basic start in the tank. One night we just decided we wanted to see life in the tank and we didn't have the $$$ to stock it, so we took down the 55G. I'll never forget how proud we were when we transferred all our contents over, and took our 1st picture of the 180G with life in it after we'd waited so long for it to cycle. We quickly sent the picture to Repto, and to this day I will never forget his words! He put up the big :-D, and said, "Where's the REEF?"

So that's how we started, and that's how we stayed for quite a while. Then we discovered the LFS's on the weekends when we were out on the weekends! Our daughter Gabrielle and Dave & I, go out on the weekends for our hour and a half ride to the closest LFS stores and we' shop! Yep... we sure would get excited when there would be things we'd never seen before, and yep..... we had to have it. Especially in the beginning. When we finally had a tank big enough to hold more corals, we really enjoyed ourselves buying corals, fish, and all the cool inhabitants that make your tank alive! We've been like kids in a candy store when it comes to our tank, and it's something that we would never apologize to anyone for! We have only lost one coral since we started the hobby, and that was just recent. Many of you probably noticed the posts about our hammer coral on the board. We've also lost a fish here and there, but that is something I think we all go through.

Best of all, when it comes to reefing we're no different than anyone else here. We sometimes think we are very naughty when we buy more than we can afford, but we're proud to say that we have been LFS free for about a month now. *Dave and I are staring at each other and trying to figure it out here* Anything we've added has been sent to us as a gift or swap.

We are very blessed to work so well together with love mixed into our salty reef hobby! Between the two of us, we both compliment our tank perfectly and it's kept just the way we like it! It's a very important part of our life, and we're proud to say that we have a piece of the ocean right here in our home! So, did it grow to fast? Nah.......just right!!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Thanks Jerry & Whoyah! Just got done writing that book up there. We can't get over looking at our original picture of the tank. hahaha
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Well deserved... bravo!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Oh yeah...oh yeah.... I'm back... Seattle was tough....but oh yeah...

ANOTHER great Tank of The Month...

Boy I'll tell you it was a hard contest this time... but hats off to you. Stunning display!

Dave
    ><((((

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

better late than never but congradulations you two.I'm glad to see your reef starting to mature.Thats one of the greatest joys in this hobby,watching a reef that you created mature and develop into your own little piece of the ocean.I cant wait to see what it'll look like next yr.Keep up the good work