[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Introducing CR Coral Collector!

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Introducing CR Coral Collector!

coralcollector lg - Introducing CR Coral Collector!

As part of CR's commitment to add tools that reef keepers can use, we have developed the CR Coral Collector. Coral collector is not only a way to show off your corals, but also a way to find corals you're looking for. Coral Collector is a powerful application that can be used for identifying, collecting, and trading corals. The more we corals entered into Coral Collector, the more useful it becomes.

Links to Coral Collector are located on the navbar menu under Reef Tools. From there, you can browse, search, and add/edit to your coral collection. When you add a coral, you should only complete one coral per entry. For example if you have 10 zoas, you would complete one entry for each zoanthid...so you would have 10 different entries. (Don't lump them together into one entry.) The reason for this will be more obvious as you start using Coral Collector.

Here are some quick links to get to the different areas of Coral Collector:

Browse Corals
    Search Corals
    Add/Edit Coral

The search is mostly driven by drop down boxes...with a simple click of a drop-down menu, you will instantly have the results you are looking for...continue to narrow your search down using the various drop-down menus. Here is a screen shot of the search page.

coralcollector ss - Introducing CR Coral Collector!

Lets say for example you are looking for a zoanthid, your not sure of the name, but you know it is primarily pink. Simply select zoanthid and pink and the corals meeting that criteria are displayed. You can also search to see if anyone has frags available for sale...or that may be open to fragging their colony.

Or as another example, lets say you have a tank with lower lighting and you are wondering what new coral would work for your tank. Using the Coral Collector search engine, you can select low lighting from the lighting requirements menu and instantly have a list of corals that may work for your tank. Of course, you can further narrow that down based on what you are looking for.

Another feature of Coral Collector is that you can upload up to 8 photos. There are two photos at the beginning for identification and then up to six additional photos can be included to show things like growth comparison, photos with sweepers out, potentially disease or pest issues...basically up to six picture that you consider relevant for that particular coral.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 05-01-2010 at 04:56 PM.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Man I love this feature. I've got a few going already!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Wow really like this feature! Great job.

CR Member
    First Name
    Marc

Excellent feature! Thank you!
    Where to fish who are down on their luck live?
    SQUID ROW!

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

looking forward to using this feature.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Glad you guys are liking it. I'm looking forward to getting a couple thousand corals in the system!

Right now each user can enter up to a 100 corals...if you find you need more, just let me know.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Very nice feature here - thanks Jim! I know it was a lot of work, but I think it will be well worth it.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I love this!!

CR Member
    First Name
    joe

great idea ilove it

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Lightbulb

I'd like to see more members try this feature out. I think you'll like it more and more as additional members enter their corals into the system.