[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Introducing CR Market... Reef Auctions and Non-Reefing Classifieds

Bookmark and Share
    jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Default Introducing CR Market... Reef Auctions and Non-Reefing Classifieds

You may have noticed a new item on the navbar (top menu). The new "Market" item provides shortcuts to the various selling and buying opportunities here on CR. In conjunction with the face lift that the Livestock and Equipment Selling/Trading forums had last week, I am happy to introduce the newest features:

Reefing Auctions - Just like it sounds, there are categories for Coral, Fish, and Equipment. You can set a reserve, buy it now, dutch, or regular auction. Buy it now auctions can be set to require immediate payment directly to your paypal account.

Non-Reef Classifieds - Pretty self explanatory...check out the link and you'll see the tons of categories. If we need more categories, let me know and I can add them.

Also, sponsors are welcome to post in these areas of the site.
    Last edited by jimsflies; 03-28-2010 at 09:45 PM.

RedfordReefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    ThunderChicken

This is GLORIOUS!

Jim, you are a god. Remind me to worship you next time we meet up.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Thanks Chris. I may be contacting you for some of that programming assistance soon...have a few more details I want to include on these features but had a tough time with it.

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Awe ya! Thanks Jim! A great out let to help feed my addiction!!!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I wanted to repost this here as this question has come up...

Do you think this will turn into a Craigslist type of feature? People will come here to sell their stuff and not talk about reef related topics.

I don't think CR will become Craigslist. The reason is, that the new area is separate from the forums. It is not part of the "get new", "get daily", searches. However, we will promote it on the home page and side column of the forum.

A few other considerations that have gone into the decision to add these features to CR:

It's a reality that people visit the reefing forums for the sole purpose of buying and selling...typically reef equipment. Occasionally there are members that break the rules and offer up non-reefing equipment which then we delete. Of course they then need to find another source for selling their items. Most of the members that are trying to sell non-reefing items are our fellow reefers looking to generate additional money to fund their current addiction...."reefing".

I see the feature as a service to our members. In these current difficult economic times, people are feeling the pinch and some are downsizing or getting out of reefing. I would rather provide an outlet for members to buy/sell/trade non-reefing items than see them leave the hobby.

Also we develop relationships with each other as a community. I think it's only natural to want to buy/trade/sell with each other. Particularly in cases where items need to be picked up, it's nice to know the person coming to your house ahead of time. Or if your buying something it's nice to know that person outside of the deal. This is something you normally don't get with sites like Craigslist or Ebay.

Buying and selling helps our sponsors by generating additional site traffic. Traffic helps get our sponsors exposure to additional reefers. Traffic is both a direct benefit to sponsors through banner ads and forum posting but also traffic indirectly benefits sponsors through search engines. The more posting and content our site has, the more attention it gets from search bots. Those search bots visiting CR also benefit our sponsor's websites by picking up their links and adding link weight to their site's rankings...thus their sites get higher exposure in search engines.

Feel free to ask any other questions or post any concerns you might have about CR. I welcome the input. I think we all have a common goal to see the site be the best that it can.
    Last edited by Rabidgoose; 08-20-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

Great job Jim!! Glad to see this finally out in the pubic eye!

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Lawn and garden? I have some corkscrew willows to sell.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Lawn and garden? I have some corkscrew willows to sell.
    For sure Chris....that's what the new section is all about...helping each other out. Post 'em up, maybe can even offer a trade for some corals.