[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

New Book for the Reef Hobby

Bookmark and Share

Default New Book for the Reef Hobby

Hello all!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - but I'll try anyway . . .

Kindly let me know if it should be posted somewhere else

Anyway - found another great resource for our hobby . . .

Does anyone know about it - or has anyone purchased it yet? I'd like
    to get an opinion - since I would like to purchase myself . . . :-D

The book is called 'Reef Keeping Basics - Successful Reef Management',
    by Eric V. Van Der Hope.

http://www.reefkeepingbasics.com

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think! :razz:

~Salty~

dsfdbutterfly - Reefkeeper Registered User

I'm not sure about the book that you listed. I was reading another post in this site that lead me to buy The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner and Natural Reef Aquariums by John H. Tullock. These books have answered many questions for me and I keep getting new information out of them everytime I pick them up. If you are looking to just add to your collection then I'm sure someone here has at least picked up the book to decide if it was any good.

Angie
    When you make a mistake look for the lesson to be learned and try not to repeat it.

salty1

The old saying, "You can't judge a book by the cover", certainly applies here. I haven't had a chance to evaluate this book yet. I am familiar with some of the contributing authors. If you judged a reefer's knowledge by the success of his/her reef aquarium then I'd have to say this book could be loaded with good advice. Each of the co-authors placed a picture of their reef tank in that ad. Pretty impressive, I'd say.

A couple of things I don't like is the price, the author refers to it as, "the small price of $77.97." and other diatribe remarks indicating we'd be foolish if we didn't spend the money to buy his book. One thing to his credit, he gives a 100% 60 day guarantee. My thoughts about someone over hyping a product is, if it's that good why not let the people who buy it hype it. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.

I think I'll wait until the price falls to meet the demand. In other words, at $77.97 few people will buy it and he will either lower the price or sit on his pile of books. That's my 2 cents worth. There's a lot of good books out there.

I, too have the books that dsfdbutterfly mentioned and they are good for beginner and advanced alike. There's another I'd mention, "Reef Invertebrates" by Calfo and Fenner.
    Amphibious

If ignorance is BLISS, why are there so many miserable people in the world???

Our web site, The Cultured Reef

OK, I went and read the entire ad for this "BOOK" and found out it's in a down-loadable format. You pay $77.97 and download it. More than 700 pages, 345 full color photos filling your hard drive.

We report, you decide.
    :D :-D :?: :?:
    Amphibious

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Amphibious good to see you around hope your enjoying the new house in Florida

Just had a good friend move to their I'm going to Miss him.
    But he had a unbelievable job opportunity so i don't blame hem
    just the same i will mis a good refer friend
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

jerryc

Thanks for the welcome. We are enjoying our new home here in FL. Each day is just another day in paradise. I'm not sure of what I'll say if a hurricane blows through. Come to think of it, I was here when Wilma came roaring through. It was a real trip!

I have a link to my website if anyone is interested in seeing the home we designed and had built. You can find it here - Our FL home.

I'm in the process of setting up a 135 reef. Gotta get back into the fragging business. Will post pics as the tank project progress.

Later.
    Amphibious

Hi all,
    Thanks for the feedback! :-D

I've also read the following books and they are awesome:
    The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, by Robert M. Fenner
    Reef Invertebrates, by Calfo and Fenner
    Coral - A Quick Reference Guide, by Julian Sprung
    Simplified Reef Keeping, by Robert M Metelsky
    and The book of Marine Aquarium, by Nick Dakin

The more I read - the better I'm informed!

I took the plunge and purchased Reef Keeping Basics, by Eric V. Van Der Hope. He has an unadvertised 40% discount and I got that from signing up to his newsletter!

W-o-w! It's a pretty cool book actually! Pictures are wonderful and you get in-depth advice, tips and techniques from 14 successful reef keeping hobbyists.

I gotta go - and read more of his book! :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your feedback.

~Salty~

I'm one of the contributing authors in that book. Let me know how you liked it.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef