[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

The 1st CR TOTM - Oct 04

Bookmark and Share
    dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Default The 1st CR TOTM - Oct 04

By unanimous decision, Congratulations are extended to peregrinus for his "experimental tank".

Comments from the Judges -

Reef_Angel - "Congratulations, I had a hard time choosing between tanks, but I know I made the right decision. I have found many similarities between some of my favorite hobbies. One being Captive Reefing and the other being perennial gardening. When I looked at you tank, it reminded me so much of the work, thought & design that we as gardeners put into our gardens, and later our flower arrangements and other projects we put together. You have a natural flare for making your corals look like a beautiful garden, and IMO it is very impressive. The artistic and creative mind is a terrible thing to waste, so keep creating. Your work is wonderful!"

ReptoReef - "Not only is he using bulbs from a local hardware store, but also is using tap water for his top off(I believe he is also absent of a skimmer). I have had the opportunity to talk to him in person and even have a few of his soft corals in my own system (very healthy at arrival and now, too). Hopefully he can take a few minutes to elaborate on the functions and details of his system to give us all a better understanding of what his tank is truly about... in his own words. Great job!!!"

Dakar - "An awe inspiring reef accomplished with some rather untraditional methods, many of which are generally frowned upon by others. For an experiment, he has managed to obtain results many of us are still striving to reach. A great balance of colors in coral and macros, provide just the right contrast to make everything from the smallest frag to the largest colony stand out to be recognized. A pleasure to see in pictures, I can only imagine it's appearance in person."

Truly worthy of the term Captive Reefing
    Since you are no longer eligible for a TOTM award for another 12 months, you are hereby invited to join the Judging Staff and serve your term in choosing future TOTM's.

The CR Staff / TOTM Judges
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sweet tank!!! You deserve the TOTM!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

peregrinus - Reefkeeper Registered User

First of all let me tell everyone that i'm honored to be here on the site and to have TOM. well we'll start from the begining. this tank stand and a wetdry filter was $35 from a thrift store. its a 55 gal acrilic. the system is comprised of 99% utah rock and 99% utah sand which is aragonite the same stuff you can buy at pet store but i got mine from the west desert. this tank was started in jan of this year, but not in it current form. it had a 1/2 in crushed coral and a few live rocks in it with NO's for lights.in june i got a bug to change it. :D so i got a workhorse7 endcaps and 110 VHO bulbs. then i thought i need more light :sign7: thats when i saw a guy on the WMAS (our local reef fourm) found these light 175 MV. he tried them and did not have any luck, i thought what the heck i like to live dangerously. (all lights i wired my self) for $22 how could i lose? got the lights hooked up took out almost all the crushed coral put in 2 to 3 inches of utah sand, arranged the utah rock let it sit running with macro and xeina for a week or so then started adding corals from my other tank and frags from LFS and WMAS members.
    spec's
    tank 55 gal's
    light 2 110 VHO's + 2 175 MV
    30 gal fug
    20 gal sump
    top off water is tap water
    no skimmer(i do have one but don't use it)

living in the tank.
    1 maroon clown
    1 anemone crab
    1 peppermint shrimp
    1 green emerald crab
    3 bubble tip anemone's
    1 rock anemone
    snails
    and crabs

sorry don't know the latin names for all these.
    corals
    lots of zoo's
    purple and blue shrooms
    2 leathers(not sure what they are yet.)
    fuzzy shrooms
    2 kinds of canycane
    red and green blastomsa
    xeina of course(enlongta) on the acrilic
    some sanke polyps
    mis. polyps
    2 kinds of monti
    florecent green encrusting gorgonian growing on the acrilic and rock
    small frag of sun polyps
    and the frags i just got from repto.

macros
    red grape
    a green and purple macro
    racemosa
    serulata
    Valonia spp.
    Sargassum hystrix
    Halimeda opuntia
    a blade macro

sorry if its a long post i'm just so excited.. :-D
    Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

congradulations,your system reminds me of a laggoon with lots of macro's and critters.It is cool to achieve success while doing things differently than the norm.With no skimmer,is macro harvest you main way of export?What kinds of foods do you feed?What kind of flow does your system get?

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

double post. Well,congratulations again,I think it is well deserved,You don't see that type of system very often and sometimes low-tech systems are much more rewarding than the high$$

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Congrats. I like the mix of macros and corals. I thing it looks more natural. Very cool I am envious of your coral growth.

yeah i harvest macro once a week as needed and give to a LFS. flake food during the week everyother day or so, weekend a combo of brine,cyclopeze, fish mush and algae paste from brine shrimp direct. this system has 800 GPH.
    http://209.33.223.100:8081

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

oh and thanks everyone. :D

150 started 8/12/06
    57 gal started 8/12/08

Tags for this Annoucement