[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

100gal buildup shots

Bookmark and Share
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 100gal buildup shots

today was the first point at which things started really looking good....

the tank is on the stand, the closed loops are fully plumbed, and the rockwork is 90% finished)....

tomorrow I'll get the last bits of rock I need, fill up the tank all the way, and start on the lighting/hood stuff.....

hope to have the skimmer and sump pump in (on the UPS truck headed my way) by Friday and HOPE to start moving the inverts out of the 20gal no later than this weekend.....

so here they are.....since I have asked enough questions, now I finally get to show the results (or the results thus far)......
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

the two close loop pumps (each rated 1535gph @ 4' w/ 1" pipe...I'm running 2" feeds/1.5" returns ), all the pipe, one of the 2" "screens" that feed to the one of the closed loop pumps (there is an identical "setup" on the other side of the tank), and two of the closed loop returns....

the system is setup so the feeds and returns are different sides, ie: left feed tied to right side return, right feed tied to left side return....this way:

a. if a pump goes out, no one side looses total "movement".....
    b. I ENSURE water movement from one side of the tank to the other.....

the funny thing is, those 2" screens don't seem to be able to keep up.....I ran the pumps this evening and found that I basicly had a "surge" system as the water could not fill the pipes fast enough (with the screens on) to keep up with the pumps.....the pumps would empty out the 2" pipes, "stall" (still run but no water to pump), the pipe would refill, and the pumps would empty the pipe out again.....almost seemed like the perfect "wave" action if it wouldn't hurt the pumps (which I'm not about to risk).....I'll drill some holes in the screen tomorrow....lol
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

and of course, the midget inside the stand to run everything.....lol
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

looks like a nice set up you have there .........good job

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

no fuge or sump???
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

the pump for the sump and the skimmer are in the hands of UPS....as soon as they show up I will install that......I'm doing a 40gal "sump" but 100% will be fuge (running the 250watt Iwaski from the old 20gal over it)...

I could have waited to do it all at one, but I wanted to get the closed loop system up and running (helps to actually SEE something rather that just parts all over the house ).....

as of tonight the tank is full to just below the overflow box slots, sitting at 1.026sg, and the 5 hermit crabs think they have died and gone to heaven....
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

ment to ask:

these pumps (Gen-X Pump PCX-70) are quite loud (not washing machine louds...just "louder" than I would like)....they have that constant "drone" (I know I know.....)...

what I'm wondering is:

what if anything have you guys done to soundproof your stands to "hold the noise in"?

I had some extra sound deadening material (kind of like Dynomat if any of you have ever done car audio stuff) left over from my car so I decided to install it on one of the walls and the doors (only had that much) and noticed quite a drop in sound emmissions. I ordered some more and will be putting it on all the surfaces of the stand (inside). After that, I planned to install carpet over that....

any other ideas?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

you shouldnt have to bother with the carpeting over the matting.that stuff does work rather well on its own i use that under all my external pumps.should do the trick carpet just absorbs moister and soon will get to stinking IMO

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Surprisingly that spagehti tangle of PVC looks nice and clean... I'd wager that took quite some effort to get together right. Looks great!

If you add more water to the tank, the extra pressure on the intake for the closed loops' intake make stop the cavitation problem, however those screens are notorious for becoming plugged up.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.