[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

2 ten gal glass tanks for sump ?????

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default 2 ten gal glass tanks for sump ?????

I am planning to add a sump to my 55 gal tank. My main reason is to move protien skimmer and other stuff out of tank. Any problems using 2 ten gal glass tanks? I was thinking of drilling 1 1/2 inch hole and using bulkheads to plumb them together. Reason i am thinking about using 10 gal is they are cheep 10 bucks or so, and they will fit under my stand. If you know of problems with this idea please let me know and save me from myself.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

I think your plan is fine.Just make sure to not use an aggresive flow rate through your sump/sumps.Something about 600gph after head loss should do.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

10g tanks are great for sumps and just about anything... the price can't be beat, especially of you can find an LFS that stocks 2nd's, I didn't even know such a things existed before two weeks ago, a 2nd may not be quite square or level or something silly like that, but sell for a couple three bucks cheaper than a 1st quality tank. Honestly I looked at them pretty close and couldn't visually see why QA would have kicked them...

The only problem with a 10g sump has arisen from too much flow, with 600gph there isn't enough time for any air trapped to rise out of the bubble trap and gets returned to the display. Tying two together like that may eliminate this issue though.

In any event, now you've stated it on the board so if you build it, you are then technically and morally obligated to post pics!
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Hello Stevebla,

I thought of this a couple of months ago, and actually got everything plumbed...
    Then changed my mind and went with a 20g. It gave me a lot more room under
    my tank. I was going to post pictures, but I guess I have to post four more
    times...

Oops...Just saw the date on your post...Did you get this completed yet?

cweber - Reefkeeper CR Member

If and when i get my 55 that is my plan with my curent two 10 setup!

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

why not go with a 20 long instead, its 30x12x12? and it would be about 10 inches shorter in lenght.
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

cweber - Reefkeeper CR Member

The space under a 55 gallon stand is only about 11 inches deep. If he has a similar stand as mine.