[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

240 is full, but cloud won't disperse

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

Default 240 is full, but cloud won't disperse

So I've got the tank full with 0 tds water, sg to 1025 and temp to 75. I already had the 240lbs of special reef sand (not rinsed) in the tank when I filled it with water. It filled clean and then I turned one tunze on low to keep it from stagnating until I could see if there was going to be any kind of cycle. That's when the cloud started and after I shut the tunze overnight, it still won't settle. At least two days now. I'm setting up a temporary overflow with sponge and a sump to circulate the water and maybe clean it up some. Also going to have an AquaC 180 skimmer on a mag 7. Q:Can you guys think of a better way to clean this cloud up besides dumping my $50 of salt water and starting over? Thanks, Tom
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

I'd go with a filter sock, and call it good.
    Likes Tom Toro liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

I agree- hope the filter sock does it for you.

First Name
    Tom

Thanks guys, I forgot I had those just laying around. I'll do that tomorrow. Again, thanks!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

I have used the pillow stuffing trick which worked great. I put it in the fuge next to the drain and make a line across the fuge. It's very cheap and collects the fine sediment very quickly! Filter sock works but gets clogged very quickly. Food for thought is all.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by binford4000 View Post
    I have used the pillow stuffing trick which worked great. I put it in the fuge next to the drain and make a line across the fuge. It's very cheap and collects the fine sediment very quickly! Filter sock works but gets clogged very quickly. Food for thought is all.
    I've used this same stuffing. Works great!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

CR Member

Throw an aquaclear hob filter on it for a few days. Stir the sand up every fee hours and you will be good.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Seed the sand with several cups of live sand from a trusted friends system to jumpstart the bacteria growth. Once the sand starts getting coated with beneficial bacteria it will settle like a rock.
    I had the same problem when I started my 100G with 330 lbs of unrinsed Southdown sugar sand. It took a week or two to be crystal clear but the benefits of the surface area of the fine sand were worth it.

First Name
    Tom

Default !

Thanks for the help, Folks!

I ran an overflow through a filter sock and also ran the Aqua C. Lots of white skim that didn't smell. All cleared up today and can see to the back.

Great suggestions!

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Pics Tom! Lets see this puppy. Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last