[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

25x25x12 Cube Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
    bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 25x25x12 Cube Build

So I had a cube custom built (25x25x12/approx 33g) with built in over flows and drilled at the bottom (1" drain 3/4"return). This will have a custom 20g tall sump, probably oak stand and then a 24 inch 14000K Solaris LED Lighting Fixture (probably hung from the ceiling), tunze silence 739gph return pump and a Reef Octopus160 skimmer.

Here is the first part of this build. THE SUMP

I picked up a 20g tall (24x12x15) for $10 from a fellow reefer. I chose the 20 tall because I want the stand to be 26" square and it would fit perfectly. The tank was really dirty, so that's why I probably got it so cheap.

But after some time, a razor blade and vinegar water, it cleaned up pretty well. Some scratches, no biggie it's a sump
    sumpba - 25x25x12 Cube Build

So I got on the phone with the glass company to see if they had 1/4" approximately 5'x1' so I could make the baffles. While I was on the phone, I took the tank out to the back of the van and sat it down because I was going to load it after I got around. Key word "WAS". So I came back inside and let the dogs in, got around and headed out about 10 minutes later. I went out to the van, got in, and threw it in reverse. The backup camera takes a few seconds to kick on, so I just threw it in reverse and backed up as I typically do. I heard a thud, thought it was weird but still hit the gas....then I heard another noise. Thought I ran something over, so I got out and this is what I saw lol.

Sorry but it's a cell phone pic
    tank - 25x25x12 Cube Build

Here is the damage to the van
    bumper - 25x25x12 Cube Build

So piece of advise, if you take something out to your vehicle, even if you're only going to be 5-10 mins, make sure you put whatever it was first before you go back inside. So needless to say, in that short time, I forgot to put the tank in the hatch lol. Well the LFS had one in stock, so $40 dollars later, I had my tank and drove up to get the sheet of glass.

more to come....

CR Member
    First Name
    Bret

Doh!

So now that I got my new 20g tank, I took the top rim off, set the sump in and it's footprint is about 7 1/2" wide. I decided to make the sump chamber around 10" wide, to give me about an inch or so on each side.

I had the glass shop actually cut the width of the glass to 11 15/16" wide because the tank was 12" wide. They left it in a long sheet for me because I wasn't sure the height I was going to make each baffle. I picked up a glass cutter and the aquarium silicone for $5 each at Ace Hardware. I used a T square to make my cuts and the glass broke pretty easy (I have never did this before but it cut clean and was easy to do). I then took 100 grit sand paper to the edges of the cut glass to make it smooth because I didn't want to cut my when I put the silicone on. I would have used 80grit but they were out.
    p2 - 25x25x12 Cube Build

In these pics, I didn't have any masking tape, so I used painter's tape which is basically the same thing. I must say I'm impressed with the silicone, it was very easy to work with (much better than when I used the stuff for the bathroom). The freshly cut glass fit in very nicely and snug. The tank is 15" tall so I made the first baffle 12" high. Also, I was trying to figure out how to clean the end of the silicone cap and learned that a Qtip works pefectly!
    p3 - 25x25x12 Cube Build
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Looks good so far!

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Man that stinks about the first tank! Hopefully you got all of the "crashes" out of the way already.
    Likes Heidi liked this post

Yeah, I hope so....at least it can get much worse than that lol

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Unfortunately it can...like after you have $1000's in livestock in it and something happens.

rosebud161616 - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Erika
    Awards Nano Contest Winner

Just curious, why did you remove the frame at the top of the sump?

Because the glass was so cut so tight, I didn't have any wiggle room to tilt the baffles and then turn it to make them straight. I could have left it on if I wanted crooked baffles. So, I took the rim off and they slid down into the tank perfectly but really tight.

Well it's starting to come together.

Two regular music cd cases and one blank dvd case (that you get from walmart to burn files on) to make the gap 1". The 3 regular cases made it 1 1/4"

p4 - 25x25x12 Cube Build
    Likes MizTanks liked this post

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last