[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Dakar's DIY weir/overflow

Bookmark and Share
    davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Dakar's DIY weir/overflow

A while back,Dakar was nice enough to make me a weir/overflow.I finally got it plumbed and installed and it works great,here's a couple pics.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

I wondered what happened to that one... How much water are you able to get het to flow, I'm thinking we were shooting for 5-600 gph, she holding that rate?

In any event glad it's working for you.

Functional doesn't always mean it has to be pretty, forgot I never got around to making the jig for cleaning up all of the edges :razz: :razz:
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

Yeah,its at only 5-600GPH right now.Gonna see if it will work with my backup pump which will do about 800gph @4' head.I drilled the hole in the top where the bubbles accumulate and glued a T airline fitting to it.Right now,one side of the T is capped and the other has airline tubing that is siphoning to the sump.Its temporary until i get a small venturi powerhead that will keep the bubbles from accumulating and stopping the siphon.I had also considered using an air pump and blowing air through the T which in theory should suck the trapped air.
    Dont worry about the rough edges,i had to cut the overflow down about an 1" because at first,the water level was to the rim.I used my dremel/router attachment and didn't bother making it look pretty.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Good deal... let me know how it works out.... be curious of any of my redneck calculations work out for higher flow. Should be close. Sure beats goofing around with U tubes, not to mention forking over big $$$ for the commercial overflows.

I got tired of the the powerhead blowing air bubbles into the display, so I tried moving one down to the sump, worked good for a while, but after a few months it would get plugged up amd have to be replaced. So I switched over to using another one of those Aqualift pumps instead, works like a champ. Now I need to order a couple more to play with.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.