[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

acrylic

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

Default acrylic

I have been looking for 1/2" acrylic everywhere,and the thickest I can find is 1/4" . Home Depot and Lowes dont have anything close. Any suggestions? Also is plexiglass the same thing?

Thanks Andy

Grue - Reefkeeper CR Member

Looked in Yellowbook.com typed in plastics in Maryland found 10 places. Not sure which is closest to you.
    Grue
    Don't Turn off the lights! The Grue's will get you!

cubereefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Check out this site....

http://www.jmkdisplays.com/sheet.html

They are great with very reasonable prices...the only thing is you would have to pay shipping....they can do custom, send supplies or anything in between (drill holes, etc.). I am having them make me some custom inserts for my sump to convert to refugium...

Jon
    Good times to be had by all...all responsible for sharing good times...

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

thanks guys I will try them.

Andy

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

why 1/2"? just wondering.....
    i buy all mine from usplastics.com they havi it all the way up to 1" thick..lol

$277.72 for 1/2" x 48"x 96" plus shipping on motor freight... that is the bad part...too big to ship ups...

you can get it 24"x 48" x 1/2" thick shipped ups though... don't know what you are needing exactly... this piece is $87.12 plus ups.
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

My new sump is going to be 4'x 30"x 30" tall. I didn't think 1/4" would hold. Icould be wrong

First Name
    Shawn

marc is the acrylic guru on here but my sump is 48"x 30"x 24" tall and i used 1/4" but the baffles and bulkheads hold everything together in tandem with the top plate holding it all too!
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

CR Member
    First Name
    Andy

If it works on your sump mine should definitley hold. I guess I am just worrying too much. Thanks for the advice. By the way what did you use to hold it together?

Thanks Andy

First Name
    Shawn

weld-on is what i use on all my acrylic work..... if you do not have the tools to use weld-on then get them! lol you need some needletip applicator bottles and some acupuncture pins or cut down guitar strings to gap the acrylic when you get ready to apply the weld-on. look on marc melev's site.... it is the best site i've seen to walk you through acrylic work as a newby.

40 x 30 x 30? That's 155g to the top, using outside dimensions. Due to the fact that you are building it up 30" tall, you definitely need 1/2" to deal with the deflections.

If you were making it 16" tall, I'd suggest 3/8" material. And that would be an 83g sump using outside dimensions.

Shovelhead, your sump is underbuilt for 144g (outside dimensions). That is a lot of stress on your sump, even if you have internal baffles and a top flange. I recently stopped at a friend's house and he showed me a huge sump someone else had built for him, copying my 80g. And it was bowing out in every direction as expected. 1/4" simply isn't a good choice for large water volumes, especially in tall vessels. The taller the project, the thicker the material.
    Marc

Visit Melev's Reef

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last