[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acrylic and cement for sump.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    rickm - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Acrylic and cement for sump.

Does anyone know where I could order pre-cut pieces of acrylic and #4 and #16 cement. This is really holding me back getting a sump made. I doubt there's any place local around that would sell this stuff. I don't even know if there's a hobby shop around to get those needle applicator bottles that I see need to be used to apply the cement to the joints. The place I was going to order from isn't returning my e-mails.I think there out doing shows.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

If you don't have a plastics shop nearby (look in the yellow pages for Plastic, they are almost always hidden away somewhere out of sight), you can try US plastics (http://www.usplastic.com/) Not 100% sure but I think they will do custom cuts for you, and they will have all the Weld-on types as well.

Personally #3 and #16 are my favorites to work with.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Did you try your local glass shop? I have had my local glass shop cut 1/4" acrylic for me in the past. I believe they also have the weld-on glue there.

shovelhead91701 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

rickm, you are also gonna need a needletip applicator bottle to put on the #3 with....it is the only thing that I have found will work well. They seem to be hard to find, but US plastics has them they are just hidden really well on their web site! The us plastics part number for these bottles is 37524 and they cost around 2 bucks each. they call them a plasticator bottle. Shawn
    The days are long and the work is difficult but every night I sleep as a man who has achieved his goals.

I have a plastics shop by my house and can get a 4' x 8' x 1/4 piece of acrylic for 100$ or a 1/8 piece for 55. Is that price good? What type of glue is needed and where can I get it? Is 1/8 good for a sump because it has baffles which would add more stability? A 36 x 15 x 18 high sump

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

personnel id go with the 1/4 just for piece of mind a new floor cost a lot more
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

I would recommend 1/4" at a minimum. I have a 1/4" sheet separating my fuge from my sump and it has a noticeble bow due to the pressure of the higher water level in the fuge. If you did a set of baffle instead this would probably even out the pressure some, reducing the bow.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

is silicone ok to used or do i need this #3 or #16 glue you guys are talking about.
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

Silicon is OK if you are gluing the acrylic to glass, such as when you are making baffles for a sump. If you are gluing acrylic pieces together go with the #3 or #16.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last