[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

advice needed for frag tank/ nem tank addtions

Bookmark and Share
    dputt88 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

Default advice needed for frag tank/ nem tank addtions

so i have quite a few nems right now and i want to move some of them into their own tank. i want the tank to be below my current frag tank which is in a back room of the house. so heres a pic.

20131231 182648 zpscc9a3f0f - advice needed for frag tank/ nem tank addtions

so on top is a 40 long, and below is a 40 breeder. i have a eshoppes HOB skimmer for 75 gal, t5 lights for the top tank and an LED fixture for the bottom tank, i have several heaters laying around, extra power heads the whole works.

so my question is, do you think i should tie the two together, and make the 40 breeder a sump and nem tank? or no? here are the two senarios....

1) tie them together. i have a skimmer that can handle that much water, i have a heater that can handle it, i have glass for baffles, and this would allow me to add an ATO to the system. so things to buy....
    -overflow box (maybe $25 used)
    -return pump ( maybe $75 used)
    -ATO ( ~$100)
    -silicone ($10)
    TOTAL= ~$210

2)keep them separate. i would have to keep topping off via gravity with air line tubing almost daily (PITA and now i would have 2 tank to top off manually). it would prevent contamination of pests if i ever got one. i would have to buy another skimmer. things to buy.
    -Skimmer ($135)

this should be done withing the next couple days, i have the water mixing up now. so whats your opinion?

cbau45 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Craig

My 2 cents, FWIW, is to go with whatever option will allow you to put together the best system for your tank inhabitants. My general thought process is that I'd rather put together one really good system versus two systems that will work but will potentially cost your more money and require more maintenance. If it were me, I would combine the tanks (make one the sump), sell off the extra light fixture and use the money to upgrade a piece or two of equipment to run on the new setup. Not sure if that helps at all but good luck with your new setup, whichever route you end up going with.
    "The sea, once it casts its spell, will trap you in its nets of wonder forever"
    - Jacques Cousteau

First Name
    Doug
    Awards Tank of the Month - January 2013 Tank of the Month Post and Reply Award - Finding Nemo PAR contest Fishbowl Drawing Winner - Summer Swap Fishbowl Winner (Red Dragon)

well i knew the bottom tank was going to be used for nems no matter what, so i cant sell off the light fixture. but i did tie them together. so heres a pic.

20140120 113809 zps1ea4c7de - advice needed for frag tank/ nem tank addtions

20140120 113915 zpsfd9dbdb0 - advice needed for frag tank/ nem tank addtions

between the baffles i will put some coarse pond filters to prevent nems from taveling into the cambers hold equiptment. also i have added a lot more dead sand that came from a previous build, and now all i need is to install the overflow box that i got. plus i have been dosing microbacter 7 to the sump to get the sand and filtration blocks cycled before they are tied together. ill be adding nems to it the weekend of the Lansing swap if the parameters are cooperating.

CR Member
    First Name
    David

I like the all in one plan, more water the better and as mentioned earlier upgrade 1 tank to Rolls Royce status.

Have you kept your nems under LEDs before? How did they do?
    I am also setting up another tank for your nem hehe. Planned on using T5 I have laying around but also have another AI...

Doug I will be bending your ear on Nem care

First Name
    Doug

yeah all of my current nems are in the display tank with with LEDs, but t5s arent going to bother them. the tank got tied together a while ago

i actually just got done shooting an update video so look out for my new thread