[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Another DIY Sump

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Default Another DIY Sump

I'm planning on putting together my own sump w/refg. This is my first step to upgrading my tank and eventually upgrade lighting to keep some more exotic coral.

Here's what I'm working with now,

95 gallon corner bow tank with overflow.
    Overflow already has a stand pipe.

Underneath I have a ~10 gallon wet/dry filter with charcoal bags, UV sterilizer and an external pump (dont know the brand).

Here are my plans:

I have a friend that said if I bought him a little 5.5 gallon tank for his two fw fish he would give me his 20 gallon tank to be used for the sump. I plan on trying the removable baffles like seahorsewhisperer. I like the idea of being able to move the baffles if need be.

Heres what else I'm planning on buying:
    - Coralife Super Skimmer-125 gallon - $126 from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
    - 2 bags of sand for refg. - not yet priced
    - submersible pump ~ 500 gph (any suggestions to a good brand that is quiet and won't break the bank?)

I currently have an older external pump that is coming to the end of its life and might as well replace the pump while i'm at it.

I also plan on replacing the overflow hose that goes to the sump, and the return hose as I won't need the UV sterilizer and I could probably use a new one anyways. Would I need any special fittings or such?

Any other suggestions before I embark? Specifically on any gotchas while constructing the baffles for the sump? I've found a couple of plans and the guide that was linked from the other removable baffles thread.

THanks!

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Sounds like a great plan. the only thing I would suggest is maby looking into a closed loop manifold and useing a larger pump. then you could get rid of those nasty powerheads!!! Keep us up to date please and don't forget the camera!!!
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

I went and took a look at my friends 20 gallon and it doesnt seem like its long enough. the dimensions are 12"L x 14"W x 17"H

With the skimmer needing 8" x 7" footprint, it doesnt seem it would leave much room for the refg. and return chamber.

I was thinking maybe 36" L would be just short enough for me to jimmy it into the stand and give me enough room to fit everything in the sump.

I saw a 950 gph Danner Mag-drive pump for $75. Are these good pumps? It sounds like they would be quiet because its magentic and it has a 3 year warranty.

When you say a closed loop manifold you mean using PVC plumbing down into the sump instead of using hoses to and from the tank?

Thanks!!

http://www.captivereefing.com/showthread.php?t=3937 Closed loop manifold in detail!! also not where it says you want 30-60 times turnover per hour!!

wow, those are very intimidating at first. I think I should tackle one task at a time. I would imagine it wouldnt be too hard to add a CLM after the sump is in place.

Just thinking about doing the sump is making my head spin =P

has anyone had problems with the removable baffles with EPDM weatherstripping? I found a really good site about how to make one from scratch. he makes it look so easy!

here it is, although everyones probably already seen it. I'm behind the times i think

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Look in the diy section some of our members have made them and if I remember correctly they where vey happy with them

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

JOE YA WANNA MAKE ME ONE?????

For a large fee sure!!! Or I can help walk you thru it for free!!!

RHAPALA - Reefkeeper Registered User
    NORTH EAST PA. YES MY TOWN IS REALLY CALLED NORTH EAST

HAHAHA

One problem I just realized and maybe someone can give me guidance,

in the base of the tank where the sump will go, some of the wood is bubbled up from years of wear and tear. It looks as if at some point in time there was some water under there and as a result the bottom is uneven at one or two points.

I was thinking of maybe constructing a base for the 30 gallon sump out of 2x4's to evenly spread out the pressure that is applied to the 30 gallon tank.

Does that sound like it would work? Not sure if I have any other option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last