[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Bookmark and Share
    SaltyDog - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Martin

Default Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Sorry for the absence everyone have been very busy but thought I would share my current projects.Please forgive my instruction if I miss anything...Am working on 5 of these and thought to document the last build...Main Unit is finished and will document the relay/sensor housing next.

Items Needed:

Arduino Mega 1280
    DS1307 RTC
    KS0108 GLCD
    Plastic Project Box
    10mm Stand-off's
    DB15 Female connector with solder cups (or your choice)
    22AWG Stranded Wire or even 24AWG Stranded can be used.

Step One....

Measure the thickness of the housing and write it down. Attach the stand-offs to the Mega and measure from the bottom up to the bottom and top of the USB port as well as the DC Jack and add the thickness of the housing to those measurements.Then lay those measurements on your project box and scribe the lines for the cut-outs with a razor knife as well as the measurements for the DB15 Connector.It's alot easier if you drill out the center of the cutout and "shave" the material away until you reach your scribed lines.
    DSC 1672 - Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Step Two....

After your cut-outs are made place the Mega for fitment as well as the DB15.If the Mega fits remove it and take off the stand-offs and replace into the holes.....Use the mounting holes on the Mega as a guide to drill mounting holes for the stand-offs into the base of the enclosure.Remount the stand-offs and fasten securely.
    DSC 1673 - Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Step Three....

To mount the RTC I used double sided tape and placed it where ever I wanted.
    DSC 1674 - Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Step Four....

Wiring it all up.......this step is crucial.On a piece of paper write down the numbers 1-15. Wire the RTC to the appropriate pins on the Mega.....there are 3 total 5v+ connections on the Mega....2 above the pinouts for pins 22 and 23....Use one of them for the 5v+ to the RTC and a GND below pins 52 and 53.On my Build I used pin 1 for 5v+ and pin 2 for GND on the DB15 connector and used the 5v+ n GND pins before the Analog row of pins.Then for the rest of the pins remaining on the DB15 connector label each Pin you use accordingly as it is important to match the same pins to the relay box and in my case my sensor shield.
    DSC 1676 - Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD

Stay tuned for more to come on mounting the GLCD Screen and wiring to complete the Main Housing....But here is a teaser pic of the finished units.
    DSC 1668 - Arduino Mega Main Unit Build with KS0108 GLCD
    Got ink????Go big or go home......

larryandlaura - Reefkeeper
    Team CR

First Name
    Larry
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner Fantasy Football Champion Referral Award Monthly Giveaway Winner

sweet dude....
    Hi my name is Larry and I'm a coral addict!

First Name
    Martin

TY....after this i'll be working on 2 touch-screen versions of this......hehehehe....

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

That look impressive. However, I'm not electronics savvy so... I have no idea what it is you're building! A controller of some sort is my guess. Could you provide a brief description and/or more detail?

Tom

First Name
    Martin

At current there are a few versions of the Arduino which is a programmable controller using C++ coding. I am currently using the Arduino Mega1280 in these builds with a 128x64 bit KS0108 GLCD screen for the base of this aquarium controller build. The controller itself will be able to control 4 relays (for this build), 2 lighting channels (White LEDs and Blue LEDs) and use the existing Blue LEDs as moonlights also as the LED drivers these are being built for can dim down to 2%. The sensor shield I am using will give readings for pH,ORP,Salinity and water temperature. The 4 relays will control 2 powerheads, fugelight, and heater which the on/off will be handled by the temp probe n high/low settings within the code.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Hah, great to see! I was just mentioning the idea of a DIY controller build based on Arduino not more than twenty four hours ago. Will be watching this with added interest.

First Name
    Martin

I did a basic one already HERE. Have been building them since April.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I figured it was a controller. Nice work. That's an impressive amount of functionality.

Tom

First Name
    Martin

Thanks Tom,

I think i'm addicted n need to start going to meetings....lol

Sent from my Flytouch 3 using Tapatalk.