[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

BadFish's DIY LEDs for Idiots (....that's Me)

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    Badfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Pat

Here is a break down of the cost. Keep in mind I really didn't do too much "bargain shopping " so you can probably make this cheaper than I did.

5 LEDs
    -2x Cree 3w XPE Royal Blue $12 ea
    -2x Cree 3w XPG Cool White $12 ea
    -1x ProLight High Power 3w UV $9

2 Drivers
    1x 1000mA Constant Current Output, External Dimming w/ pot. $20
    1x 700mA Constant Current Output, External Dimming w/ pot. $20

Power supply
    1x 24v 6.5A Potrans $24

Heatsink
    7.280" Wide x 6" Long Heatsink $15

Wire,solder, ect. ~$15

So altogether Its around $150 give or take, again you can probably find the material cheaper than I did

180reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Matt
    Awards Tank of the Month

Excellent! I have yet to witness a tank in person with the cree royal blues - really makes the tank look electric!

thanks again for sharing, and inspiring me to get off my butt and do it!! may take a little while, but I now know for sure LED's are coming to my tank!
    Matt
    I promise, I'll be done in 5 more minutes!

MightiesKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan

Default Leds

Nice build Badfish, Very cool how you change from white to blue!

CR Member
    First Name
    Shawn

I'm gonna try to build an array at some point soon....thanks for posting

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

Very cool! If you dont mind me asking what is the purpose of the UV led? I thought that the others would give off the correct spectrum. Is this not true and added uv necessary?
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

First Name
    Pat

I have heard that the UV burns the tissue of the coral a little forcing the coral to grow more pigmants for protection, making them more colorful. So I just want to see if it makes a difference. So far it hasnet hurt or helped really, but the light does a have a little purple glow to it and i feel it make the colors "pop" more. JMO

Corvette Reefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

very cool!! iv been trying to scrape money togther to make a led system for my tank, and thats a interesting thing about the UV bulb i think ill try that too. do you get good growth with the leds without having optics?
    The names Vette, Corvette. . .

First Name
    Pat

I have only had the leds on the tank for about a month now, and its a fairly new tank so i can really say much about growth yet. But I know are powerful, the first few days i had them way too high and burnt some of my zoas. I have them turned way down to around 20% and everything is doing great with them now, the zoas are growing their color back too.

CR Member

Alright let me know if i should start my own thread for this, But i am giving this a shot. Seems like you did your research so i am mocking you on most things...Hope thats alright .

I have a 55 gallon rectangle tank i am just starting. Instead of blowing my money on separate lighting i wanna try and go LED and do it right the first time. i was thinking i'd double what you have due to the length of the my tank compared to the one you did. two different units one for each side? This seem like i am on the right path so far?
    And again if this isn't the right place for these questions let me know i will delete it and make my own thread, but figured since i am following your build your thread was the best spot.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

For anyone interested in purchasing LED's check out rapidLED as they are the best source, faster shipping than most places. I'd steer clear of nano tuners as shipping is a nightmare with them.

Dont get discouraged, the LED's at rapidLED are about half the price of what the OP paid but like he said he didn't shop around.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last