[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Building the Man Room/Fish Room

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Building the Man Room/Fish Room

Okay guys Im gonna need some major help here on this one. I think the wife is giving the okay to throw one up in our basement.

I've done just about every repair know to man on a house. But I have never framed up walls, or hung a door. Some sheet rock work but not like this.

So I'm looking for every bit of advice you might have, from materials, tips, tricks, and gadgets to boot.

It's gonna be super simple, no demo involved. With exception of ceiling tiles and one pine wall with door. Two walls, completing a utility room.

Im picturing one long bench/table/stand across the long wall, with tables underneath for storage and sumps and things. Opposing wall 'Tool Ville'. Super clean, no wires, no mess's. Controllers, computers, TVs and fridges. I'll have a counter top and a Stainless sink after I do the kitchen to add in the room for coral and fish acclimations and fragging of course with general clean up.

I'll get pictures up here soon to give you and idea.

First major question I have is do you think it can be done in one 8 hour day?????
    Frame, sheet rock and electrical only with door.

Stands and inner transformation later.

Tools and Parts List of Items to Get
    -Liquid Nails
    -Ramset and bullets
    -Crap ton of 2x4's
    -A door of some type
    -Drywall and related items
    -Screw driver for drywall
    -Outlet boxes for electrical
    -Track lighting

Tools and Parts I already Have
    -All the standard hand tools
    -Frag Tank 48x18x12 x2
    -Sump 36x18x20
    Last edited by ReeferRob; 03-02-2010 at 09:01 AM.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Sounds sweet!!

Sounds like its quick and simple, but most projects do...betting it takes far longer than an 8 hour day.

Gonna put some thinkin into it, and try to get some advice for ya.

Awards Fishbowl Drawing Winner

I agree with chris. Most project take at least 3 times as long as planned

Mike - Reefkeeper CR Member

I thought my build would be some in 2 months and it took 7 (lol - was an entire basement finished around the tank) so I agree plan on it taking longer than you anticipate.
    anacroporamademepoora
    --Lifetime member of the "No Mud Club".:

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Just mudding in drywall is a couple day deal by the time you do a couple coats and wait for it to dry enough to sand/paint.

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

Default Drywall

Chort is right on, I paid professionals to drywall my basement and the took three days just for mudding and taping. I also did a wall on my own, let me just say it's easier said than done.

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I agree with chris. Most project take at least 3 times as long as planned
    Isn't that the truth Paulo! I usually bite off more than I can chew on my "one day projects"

The goal isn't really to be 100% completed on the first day. Just to have the brunt of the work done like the framing, electrical, the dry wall hung, taped and one layer of mudd.
    The rest would be done here and there over a week or two span at night once the kids are asleep and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    let me get this straight... building just one wall, and putting a door in it and drywalling that one wall with a few electrical outlets?? Sure it can be done in 8hrs if you have the materials on hand and a couple people to help that have more experience then you (no offense)... if your including taping and mudding the drywall, the mudder better pretty darn good with his 1st and only coat (since it usually takes a full day or two to dry anyways especially in a typically cooler basement)... but generally no it will take atleast a couple days due to needing several coats of mud and a sanding session or two to get a nice smooth finish.

Personally I would take my time especially being my house, or even a friends house lol Give yourself a few days atleast, so you don't mess anything up, especially with the electrical and the mudding... electrical could be a real shocker or even fire hazard if done incorrectly, and a poor mud job really shows. Thats really the best advice.... take your time.
    It will actually be two walls (pictures and measurements to come later today) with one door.

Great advice, definitely don't want to rush it and half arse it in anyway. The goal would be to get most of the dirty work done the first day. The rest to be completed later. Will definitely be looking for help from a professional with the electrical. This is one area that has always made me a bit nervous with children in the home.

Quote Originally Posted by chort55 View Post
    Tip for mudding... mix it fairly wet, not runny, but to a nice milkshake/smoothie consistancy (not 90degree consistancy where its already melting either lol). Keep your putty knives wet, start with a smaller knife with the 1st coat and your 2nd/3rd coats use a bigger knife each time. 1st coat can be a little thicker, but your last coat(s) spread it thin and smooth, try not to work it much just wipe it on with a smaller blade and run over it with a slightly bigger wet blade for a nice smooth finish. Other then that measure twice, cut once

Mmmmm, now I need a mildshake!!

You guys think it would be necessary to use all "green board," the moisture resistant stuff for both sides of the wall due to being in the basement?
    Or just the inside where the tanks and water vats will be?

Here's a question to those with experience framing. Will I need to hammer drill the basement floor and insert lag bolts, or would it be quicker and easier to buy or rent one of those power nailers that uses a .22 bullet to drive a nail through the base frame board into the basement floor?
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Argent - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Paul

buy or rent a ramset - they aren't that expensive and will do what you need to do

and some liquid nail
    ~Paul
    -----------------------
    Argent's 24G Aquapod HQI
    Argent Imaging on Flickr

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    buy or rent a ramset - they aren't that expensive and will do what you need to do

and some liquid nail
    That's the one, too early in the morning for me to remember the name.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

I used a little gorilla glue to attach the wall to the floor when I framed in a fireplace in the basement of my former house. It worked great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last