[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Building the Man Room/Fish Room

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    CR Member

LMK when you're ready... I'll sit back with a brew and cheer you on :D

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Are you going to paint? That will add time to wall prep as well. I am not sure that green board will be necessary especially if paint with some level of gloss is used. I would also recommend leaving a 1/2 inch between the drywall and the floor. Green board or not any major spills and the drywall will wic up the moisture causing potential damage.

Is your basement finished?

What are you doing for a floor?

Will the room require insulation for heat and/or Noise?

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

"Crap load of 2x4s" Is that Metric or US Standard measurement? LOL

The key to this taking 8 hours is being prepared. At least you are close to Home Depot & Lowes!

Let me know if you need power tools. I have drills, circular saw, Sawzall, etc. I even have a chainsaw if you need something drastic.

I'm with stunreefer.. I want a front row seat with a beer. LOL

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
    LMK when you're ready... I'll sit back with a brew and cheer you on :D
    Sounds good, we will need a supervisor thats over the age of 7!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rugger View Post
    Are you going to paint? That will add time to wall prep as well. I am not sure that green board will be necessary especially if paint with some level of gloss is used. I would also recommend leaving a 1/2 inch between the drywall and the floor. Green board or not any major spills and the drywall will wic up the moisture causing potential damage.

Yes I do plan on painting the inside and out when completed. Thanks for the input on the green board. With a few layers of moistore resistant primer and paint should do just fine like you said.

Great advice on leaving space to the floor!

Is your basement finished?
    Yes it is currently finished.

What are you doing for a floor?

Underneath the carpet, it black commercial grade tile. I was hoping it would work just fine. Don't want to dump any money into that aspect of the room.

Will the room require insulation for heat and/or Noise?
    Haven't really thought about this aspect of the build. Noise and heat isn't much of an issue now so I think I can skip this task!

Quote Originally Posted by thefishgirl View Post
    "Crap load of 2x4s" Is that Metric or US Standard measurement? LOL
    LOL, that is actually the Motown Engineers Standard for Measurment.

The key to this taking 8 hours is being prepared. At least you are close to Home Depot & Lowes!
    Hit the nail on the head Becky. I have learned one to many times that not being prepared can make a very stressful project in addition to looking crappy. Definitely want to avoid both.

Let me know if you need power tools. I have drills, circular saw, Sawzall, etc. I even have a chainsaw if you need something drastic.

Thanks for the offer, I've got just about every know power tool and hand tool to tackle this job. With exception of a table saw and a Ramset, which I've been wanting for years anyway. This could just be the perfect excuse to buy them!!

I'm with stunreefer.. I want a front row seat with a beer. LOL
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Rob

Default Pics

Okay here are a few pics to give you an idea. And yes I will need to find a new location for all MY toys!
    Directly behind the 'Hulk' is the corner the main wall will start from running parrallel to the foundation wall.
    IMG 0779 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room
    Then another wall coming from just before the middle window to the right of Spidy meeting with the main wall. This will also be the wall where I would like the door to be.
    IMG 0780 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room
    This is the wall that needs to be demod, and a picture of what is behind.
    IMG 0783 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room
    IMG 0782 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room

From wall with windows to the corner is 6'9" the length from the corner by Hulk will be 7'.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

The Rugger - Reefkeeper CR Member
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

You mentioned a sink. Are you going to Plumb in water and a drain?

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Rugger View Post
    You mentioned a sink. Are you going to Plumb in water and a drain?
    Being that the "room" will be made part of the utility room it would be quiet easy to do. The drain line however could be a bit more tricky. The other side of the utility room is a bathroom, hopefully someone can give me a hand with that?

I would also like to plumb a drain line for easy water changes.

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Ok Rob, I think we need an update here . . . where are you on this project?
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
    Ok Rob, I think we need an update here . . . where are you on this project?
    LOL, the old lady put the kabash on it once she saw this thread. I ended up just expanding and improving my existing corner of the laundry room into this......
    IMG 2209 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room
    IMG 2213 - Building the Man Room/Fish Room

I really wish I could have followed through with this for two reasons. One of course to have my own space away from everything and everyone. And two so I could have had a basement sump for the DT, which was the main goal in the first place to provide larger water volume and therefor stability.

There's always the next house!!

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

LOL; isn't it funny how they just don't get it? Something about that whole money thing I just don't understand. Larger volume = better stability = more growth and less money spent on corals. How come they just can't see the big picture?
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last