[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Can you recommend me a frag tank and size?

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Can you recommend me a frag tank and size?

My 29g is a little too small to hold all my frags.

I would like to build/buy a smallish frag tank that I can science out my next controller on.
    Something with a return and maybe a chamber or two. Similar to - 18"x18"x5.5" ACRYLIC ALL IN ONE FRAG TANK, BLACK BOTTOM - eBay (item 190505766930 end time Mar-26-11 14:53:38 PDT)

I would also be building a little hood for it to keep my cats/dogs and their fur from it.

I'd like to keep everything from softies to sps in it. I'd like to keep the foot print less than 24 in x 24 in. Maybe an 18 x 18. Not sure how high.
    I will be using LED's with either an Aduino board or a pic micro rather than the automotive ecu I am currently using on my 29g. As an aside, I will be documenting the whole build up of the controller as a diy.

So what do you all suggest for a frag tank size and LED count/spacing/types, etc?

Thanks a lot

Burke

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

that actually doesn't seem like that bad of a deal, the one i have is pretty small so hard to recommend anything.

what are your plans? do you plan on tieing it into your current setup or making it another stand alone tank?

if it is just a frag tank there is no need for the overflow, you can just drill a bulkhead in the bottom and cut a pipe to the proper height and put a intake grill over the hole so no snails get in it.

post a WTB on here, there may be someone with a tank you need.

CR Member

This will be a stand alone set up. I;d like to keep it separate from my biocube. I am curious to some recommendations on depths of the tank based on LED output and how many I should use for the given space.

I dont mind spending the money on a premade one, I'm just not sure if that one was too shallow.

Thanks
    Burke

binford4000 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Old man
    Awards Tank of the Month - May 2012 Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    This will be a stand alone set up. I;d like to keep it separate from my biocube. I am curious to some recommendations on depths of the tank based on LED output and how many I should use for the given space.

I dont mind spending the money on a premade one, I'm just not sure if that one was too shallow.

Thanks
    Burke
    There's really no rule of frag tanks,I personaly like breeders because they're shallow and it's easy to work in the tank and even easier to get good flow.The shallow tank also makes it easy to get high par levels to help the little guy's grow.Seperate systems are nice but also creates another maintnace cycle for the tank.I personaly like the 40 gal breeder,not to small but yet not to big.(that's the tank you saw this weekend) If you want smaller a 15 long also makes a neat frag tank.Good luck and nice seeing ya on CR

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post

Thanks
    Burke
    24x24 tank only about 8" deep you could get away with 18 leds, or 24 leds hung high enough above the tank it is easy to work with, i would custom make it, cuts the cost down 2/3 of retail and you only need to know how to solder so its simple to do.

CR Member

I am thinking I will go with 16 leds (4 sets of 4) as I will be using the same $30 adjustable 12V power supply that I am using in my biocube. `

Is there a better combo for growth other than the 50/50 royal blue/whites that I am using now?

Are there any good local suppliers for acrylic?

I am thinking I will ask around to see if some one has PAR meter to help me determine height.