[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

cooling fan wiring... series or parallel?

Bookmark and Share
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Default cooling fan wiring... series or parallel?

I'm looking to run 2 12volt DC fans on one power supply. Which is better to wire them in parallel or series? If you're feeling generous I'd be curious to know details on both wiring strategies.

Thanks,
    Tom

nate_newton - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Nate

I can't remember for sure but it seems like in parallel you get 12v to each fan, series you get the voltage drop.

reefpoor - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

Default wiring

He's right, has to be parallel. You cant run in series through a load(fan,) only a switch can be wired in series, unless your intention is to reduce voltage. Electronics is a little different, a series circuit of say leds can act as one load

Lynxer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by reefpoor View Post
    He's right, has to be parallel. You cant run in series through a load(fan,) only a switch can be wired in series, unless your intention is to reduce voltage. Electronics is a little different, a series circuit of say leds can act as one load

This is correct, if you wire them in series you will be splitting your 12v. So 6v to each fan... wich some do on purpose to reduce noise.

low voltage = lower noise.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

I use a variable voltage DC power supply, 6-12v DC adjustable in 1.5v steps to control fan speeds and wire them parallel. Makes it nice being able to slow the fans in winter months when cooling is not needed as much and custa way down on evaporation. In summer months I can change speeds according to cooling needs and the humidity in the house or even if I want to quiet things down.

Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Thanks for the info everyone!

That's a great suggestion AZ. I already wired them in series but may, in the future, switch them over to have the option to adjust.

Tom