[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY agrocrete recipes

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

I have tried to make about 3 batches. So far I have only made flat and round pieces of rocks. I haven't tried to put pasta in my mix. Some of my thinner pieces crumble off. My recipe is 15 cups crushed oyster shell, 5 cups portland 2, and 5 cups sand, and 5.5 cups water.

I didn't find portland 1 at our lowes. Do I really need it?

I'm really happy with the way it looks especially when I can't afford a lot of LR. I will seed it real LR.

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

A year ago I could have tol dyou the difference between the different types of Portland, however for this I don't think it makes much difference. Just be sureall of the agrocrete is well cured/stops leeching (8-12 weeks), or until the PH holds relatively steady at the same as your freshwater bath.

Sure beats $5-6 a pound, and a lot more fun than just picking it out of a tub.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Yes it does!!!# I am pretty happy with what I have. I was wondering does the cement rock help filter the water like LR or is it just in there for a filler?

First Name
    Dave

If adds additional surface area for denitrifing bacteria to live, so it can only help. Just how much surface area depends on your particular rocks, shape, size and how porous your final product is.

I've read a few more recent debates on the aluminum content of the Portland (all cement contains some trace amount) and speculation as to whether or not it can and will leech into your reef, but so far I haven't dug up anything about any studies expert or otherwise about any long term effects or if anyone has an easy way to test it. Agrocrete/Agaracrete appears to be a newer (5-6 years or so) idea. But I've seen some tanks populated with nothing but it, and they seem to be doing well.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Way cool. How do you do the molds for the clams and such?
    120G Reef and 40B reef at work, 120G tank dry and dirty in the garage.

Dakar,

Do you boil your pasta?

Thanks.

First Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vtrieu88
    Dakar,

Do you boil your pasta?

Thanks.
    Naw, I'm lazy I guess... I just use whatever I can snag out of the cupboard and add it to the mix... letting it cure in running FW for 6-8 weeks lets the pasta swell up and in time just disolves away.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual98
    Way cool. How do you do the molds for the clams and such?
    Yeah and how does the sand mold work???:sign2:

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

Default you got me Dave

Angel recommended that i try this, and after seeing all the cool stuff you can do ... i think im gonna give it a whirl to see what i can come up with. i need some rockwork for the new tank pretty soon anyway. thanx for all the tips guys and i will let you know how it goes.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3