[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Durso Write up.

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Default DIY Durso Write up.

Welp wanted a durso for my new tank so i decided to get all the materials and do it myself.

For a parts list just look up durso in google and you'll find it.

I would guess that all parts and such bought = about 12$

Since i have a 1" bulk head i went with the 1 1/4" PVC for the main durso than bought some 1" pvc for the connector to the bulk head.

I was able to find all pieces at lowes.

Here are all the pieces laid out.

IMG 1525 - DIY Durso Write up.

According to the durso website you might want to cut down the street 90 degree elbow, to get a snug fit. So i fit mine to the T and kinda guessed and made a cut.

IMG 1527 - DIY Durso Write up.

The street elbow and the T are than glued together of course using purple primer, and PVC cement, i just put the primer on and let sit while i got the glue can opened and just slobbed it on, dries rather quickly too.

IMG 1528 - DIY Durso Write up.

Than i took the 1 1/4" coupling and the 1 1/4" to 1" reducer and glued those together.

IMG 1529 - DIY Durso Write up.

I kinda just guessed at how much 1" pipe to use. Since i went with a slip bulk head i didnt need a threaded adapter. This was a smart move on my part as it would have been interesting trying to twist that all in there.

IMG 1530 - DIY Durso Write up.

Glued the 1" pvc into the reducer

IMG 1531 - DIY Durso Write up.

I figured it would be easier to figure out the height i needed for the durso body of the 1 1/4" pvc.
    This is where i feel i made a bit of mistake, what i would do next time is dry fit the 1 1/4" pvc into the bushing, than place it in the over flow and check the height, cut than put the T on the body.

Mine i feel is a bit short but ill live with it, i couldnt change it because i had already glued it.

IMG 1533 - DIY Durso Write up.

here is the body cut and the T placed on it. The T is not glued to the body. NOT GLUED TO THE BODY. Im just slipping mine on, it says to use teflon tape but mine seems snug.

IMG 1534 - DIY Durso Write up.

I checked the height and kinda guess at how tall to make the top of the durso where the cap goes, it doesnt really matter how high you make it, they say to the trim of your tank or a little passed it.

The 1 1/4" pvc between the T and the Cap, Is glued to the T ONLY!!!! T ONLY!!!!! the cap can be made snug with Teflon tap. Dont forget to drill the cap, but that can be done whenever before you add water. i did a 1/16" hole, which can be changed if you need too.

IMG 1535 - DIY Durso Write up.

Finished product.

IMG 1536 - DIY Durso Write up.
    IMG 1537 - DIY Durso Write up.

I have extra 1 1/4" pvc and 1" pvc, this post is dated June 12th , 2010. So if you would like ot build your own i have extra that im willing to give away. It was only a couple bucks for like a 12ft section.

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Great write up!!! Thx for taking the time to do this! A great addition to the CR DIY forum!

First Name
    Chris

Directions worked great for me!

iyachtuxivm - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jamie

I made my own durso also but used one of the adjustable pcv pipe things (no idea what its called) in place of the straight pipe. Makes for easy adjustment of water height like the OG dursos. The adjustment is about 3".

BriGuy31+ - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Brian

I made one of these for my overflow. Very quiet up top but the drain tube is very loud down at the sump. Is there some sort or reverse durso that I can make to have the whole drain plumbing whisper quiet.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

nice write up. i did a durso for my cpr overflow. that was a challenge! i had to cut 1/2" off each side and glue in a 1" piece of pipe to hold the pieces together so they are tight as possible but after all said and done it fits perfect and super quiet!

First Name
    Chris

Quick question, before i install this and my bulkhead....

My bulkhead only came with one washer. Which side does it go on? The inside of the tank or the outside bottom screw?

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Patrick View Post
    Quick question, before i install this and my bulkhead....

My bulkhead only came with one washer. Which side does it go on? The inside of the tank or the outside bottom screw?
    inside of the tank

First Name
    Chris

And just how tight is tight? I really dont want to crack the bottom glass on my tank!

I can see me doing just that! Hand tight with 1/4 turn of a wrench, just hand tight, or ect?? This is the most nerve wracking part IMO.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

hand tight with a lil bit of wrench like you said will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last