[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Fuge Light

Bookmark and Share
    ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Default DIY Fuge Light

I work at Radioshack and we got these new light strips in our store that seem like they would be a great Refugium lighting solution. I will post a link to them and if anyone wants one, I will do a little bit of a no-no and buy them with my discount. All you would have to do is send me $15 for the light strip and $7.50 for the inverter. It takes a 12v power supply which most people can find easily around their home. You would strip the wires on both the inverter and the power supply and hook them together. Alternatively, I can buy you a power supply with the correct plug tip for an additional $11. The light strip consists of 60 5050 SMD Waterproof grade LEDs at 6500k color temperature. They are a little low wattage, but considering there are 60 of them, I think it would be enough light for some Macro and live rock in a fuge. Let me know if you have an opinion of why this wouldn't work or if you would like me to get you set up with a set of these lights.

Waterproof LED strip

Power Inverter

Power Supply

You would need to send me 50% of the total prices on the website for all items you wanted, plus 6% sales tax
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Im going to see tomorrow if there's a way to bend them into a square shape

Sent from Tapatalk 4 on my Galaxy S4

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

They come in white blue and red

---ETBReefer05

tcp316 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Vicki

Default Re: DIY Fuge Light

Is this the same as the coils of lights you get at christmas to hang on decks and outside?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Always learning, loving this hobby.

First Name
    Eric

It makes sense, our sun is is yellow star but gives off a large portion of radiation in the red and infrared spectrum, almost 50% by some studies.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

@tcp316 No these are higher intensity waterproof strips.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

Maybe ill do one of each, one for macro growth and I wanted the white light to double as a light when working in the bottom of the stand.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Eric

So I checked into it today at work, these lights can be cut into custom lengths of 2" sections, meaning I can change them to about 3 12 inch sections and have three reds and three whites. I would have to check into driving them as I wouldn't want a separate driver for each strip, maybe one for the whites and one for the reds, but I won't have to bend them. There are cut lines, and all you have to do is attach your wiring to the electrodes on each custom strip you make, meaning you wouldn't have to bend them at all. Pretty neat!

Edit: Just read the online user guide, looks like you can wire up strands of lights off of one driver, so you could custom wire together the white strips and the red strips with the wire pads on each strand of lights!

---ETBReefer05