[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY LED build

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last
    Tom@HaslettMI - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

I just ordered the rest of the equipment (drivers, LEDs, pots, fans, ect.) I need for this build from LEDGroupBuy.com. I am excited to get this project moving! I went with 3-up LEDs (one Cree neutral white and 2 royal blue emitters per star). Looks like I need to start tinning some wire... I'll keep you posted.

Tom

ReefWerks - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I just ordered the rest of the equipment (drivers, LEDs, pots, fans, ect.) I need for this build from LEDGroupBuy.com. I am excited to get this project moving! I went with 3-up LEDs (one Cree neutral white and 2 royal blue emitters per star). Looks like I need to start tinning some wire... I'll keep you posted.

Tom
    Which drivers did you end up with? Not all of theirs are dimmable or compatible...Just from experience with customers who used them...

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Congrats.....will be following this for sure.

First Name
    Tom
    Awards Yugo Award - For helping with the CR Booth at MCES Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner Photo of the Month Tank of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by ReefWerks View Post
    Which drivers did you end up with? Not all of theirs are dimmable or compatible...Just from experience with customers who used them...
    I selected the Inventronics 40 watt 700 Ma model. They will run 15 LEDs each and should be dimmable with either pots or the Digital Aquatics ALC (If I ever buy one). I did lots of research on this... so hopefully I didn't screw up.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom@HaslettMI; 01-09-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: added link to driver

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

I'm interested to follow. The 3-up thing is pretty interesting.

ReefWerks - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom@HaslettMI View Post
    I selected the Inventronics 40 watt 700 Ma model. They will run 15 LEDs each and should be dimmable with either pots or the Digital Aquatics ALC (If I ever buy one). I did lots of research on this... so hopefully I didn't screw up.

Tom

Good choice, they will run with DA units very well!

Tom Toro - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Tom

I'll be paying attention to your build, Tom. I'm waiting for two kits now from Aquastyle. I hear their drivers are terrible so glad to hear we can mix and match.

Nice thread!
    240g Great Lakes Glass! ETSS1400/panworld250,LED 120wX4 AJM, LED,2x sunbrite ,Tunzex4/,200gal sump/mixed reef/Biopellets. Hammerhead return. UV 57w. Chiller.

135g down and given to a buddy. New pic after the wall is repaired.

CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ReefWerks View Post
    Good choice, they will run with DA units very well!
    Thanks for the helpful information.

First Name
    Tom

My ledgroupbuy.com order shipped today! It seems like it took forever for the 3-ups to come in. I'm excited to get this project moving.

Stay tuned for updates!

Tom

ReefTech - Reefkeeper Moderator

First Name
    Matt
    Awards Wheel Master Award - Helping with run the Frag & Swag wheel at the Michigan Coral Expo & Swap 2014. Yugo Award - For running the CR booth during MCES

hey tom, i got some par readings on my led fixtures all thanks to jeff at reef solutions for allowing me to bring the fixture in and use is par meter. here they are......

light hanging 10" above water

-350 @ 1" under water
    -185 @ 6"under water
    -110 @ 12" under water with a 24"inch spread from side to side plus full coverage from front to back in the tank. again this was just one of my fixtures that was tested and they didnt have any deep tanks to get deeper readings. jeff and a customer at the store were really inpressed by how much coverage the fixture had. as the pictures show we also went with the disks with 3 leds on it the only thing i want to mention is the drivers your planning one using. the paper work that came with our leds recommended using a 1000mA driver to drive the leds and i noticed you said you were using something like 750 or 760mA drivers. so you might want to watch that cause these leds are very powerful. our power units get pretty warm cause the lights are pulling a good amount of power. again just wanted to pass that along cause i would hate to see something happen to your build.
    Likes Tom@HaslettMI liked this post

Page 2 of 5 First 1 2 3 4 ... Last