[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Sump -Build

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    lemonyx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Charles

Default DIY Sump -Build

I'm starting my 200gal build and starting with the sump first. I will show you how I do it.
    The sump is about a 79gal measures 49 3/4"L x 24"W x 16"H. I used oversize sheet of 3/8" Plex "G" which is 50"x99", great for those who have to have a 24" deep tank (inside dimensions)

On with the build.
    plans - DIY Sump -Build
    The plans, gotta have a map of what you want, where it's gonna go and if it'll fit or not.

I didn't take any pix's of the cutting as I have my wholesaler do that. But the routing is the next step
    router table - DIY Sump -Build
    My router table, I have a total of 3 leafs if i need the room for those longer tanks
    working end - DIY Sump -Build
    end piece - DIY Sump -Build
    The working end
    snow - DIY Sump -Build
    What's left after routing, a big mess that sticks to everything. Too bad I can't melt this and make a sheet of plastic

The ends pieces
    end pieces - DIY Sump -Build
    The baffles
    baffles - DIY Sump -Build
    The front and back and top and bottom pieces
    sides and top and bottom - DIY Sump -Build
    The filter Sock Holder
    filter sock - DIY Sump -Build

The tools:
    tools - DIY Sump -Build
    Last edited by lemonyx; 04-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.

First Name
    Charles

Start the build:
    Starting on one end of the sump
    paper - DIY Sump -Build
    sock - DIY Sump -Build
    I use these 45's to hold the acrylic at a 90' and have about 6 of these made up and sometimes have to use all six of them. (forgot to take pix of that )
    needle - DIY Sump -Build
    The pins method of assembling acrylic. These are acupuncture needles that I use and are about the right size. I use to use those tie wraps from the produce section but they were too thick (big around)
    juice - DIY Sump -Build
    The magic juice - combination of Weldon #4 and *%$@#&*^.
    shims - DIY Sump -Build
    Shims, these single edged razors work the best for slipping under the acrylic, thin enough but you can stack them when you need them. You need some type of shim to keep the acrylic edges together for no bubble seams (as well as the routed edge)

more to come

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Awesome DIY start. Thanks so much for sharing the process. Try to remember to tank as many pictures and explanation with detail as possible.
    Tagging along for sure, THANKS.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

kgood1 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Kyle

Tagging along too,even though I suck @ diy.

thefishgirl - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Becky

I need that router table! These are great pics. Please don't stop!!

First Name
    Charles

More sump

Spacing out the baffles and making sure they are perpendicular to the bottom. I'm using a 2" pvc pipe which comes out to 2 3/8" spacing between baffles.
    spacer - DIY Sump -Build
    All 4 baffles in place, decided not to split the fuge area and will it will be just the baffles.
    4 baffles - DIY Sump -Build
    Before I go any further, I just remembered that I need probe holders so went looking thru my scrap pile and this is what the out come is.
    blk or wht - DIY Sump -Build
    Hummm black or white thumb screws? I used the black ones.

I like to use my "head" to work smarter and not harder (lazyness) but I use the electric drill/driver to tap all of my holes and have had no problems. There will be some who have not done this or think that they "know it all" and will chime in and say it'll break, won't work ect ect ... If you use the right drill size for the tap, it'll work.
    tapping holes - DIY Sump -Build
    tapping thru - DIY Sump -Build
    Ok enough of that.

longer one - DIY Sump -Build
    So I made two of them, the shorter one is the prob holder for my AquaController, just checking Temp and PH for now. The longer one is for the ATO and will need to make another probe holder as the blank end will hold the float switch for the ATO and instead of a Calcium Reactor I will be using the "Balling" method kind of, and will be dosing Cal, Alk, MAG and whatever else the tank needs so will need another "long" probe holder for three set's of lines.

The first half of the sump is done, now just need to turn it over and start the other side.

(I forgot to mention that the tops of the baffles the corners have been routed or chamfered to take the sharp corner off. If this is not done, it won't feel good. Plus it dresses it up showing the time put into the project)

So the order in which to assemble a tank, sump or whatever is about the same. Start on one side, stand all your vertical pieces and "glue" (actually it a solvent so it softens the plastic then bonds) of if you have any dividers then that would go first, (horizontal piece that spans between the verticals) then starting on one "end" start gluing them down, making sure you have a right angle jig to keep it nice and straight and some type of spacer for your baffle spacing. (is that clear - I think I just babbled)

more to come

Wy Renegade - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Randy

Very nice write-up! Love all the pictures and detailed explaination. Somewhere I saw where people were using the acrylic chips to mix into man-made LR, helps with the coralline process.
    Last edited by Wy Renegade; 04-23-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    I collect PEs, and I'm always looking to trade for ones I don't have yet.

First Name
    Charles

The first end piece is on, the baffles
    the other side - DIY Sump -Build
    now the other end piece
    opposite end - DIY Sump -Build
    The needles are only used for the "outside" or parameter of the tank or sump in this case.
    Now what I have is a "U"(end pieces)with finger in between (baffles). Now is the time to ready the other "side" of the tank/sump.
    The paper is removed and it's slid under, then the finished part is turned over and aligned onto the bottom piece. (I hope that is clear, as mud probably)
    The first assembly with the end's and baffles are just turned upside down on to the next piece, lined up and "glued" on.
    side rolled over - DIY Sump -Build
    now the needles and shims are used to line up the "joints for gluing.
    Now the "bottom of the sump.
    So the finished "carcass" has a front, back and the baffles, just needs the bottom and then the top.

Bottom first
    bottom1 - DIY Sump -Build
    I use a needle every 6" and a shim if needed - all around the parameter of the sump. This take a little time and can mean bubbles or a nice clear seam.
    When you are ready, apply the glue on one side, go back and pull the needles and push the shim in a little, you can see the solvent being squeezed out
    so you have to stop or you'll get a "dry joint"
    Repeat for the next 3 sides, add a little weight on top and let it dry
    bottom - DIY Sump -Build
    bottom finished - DIY Sump -Build
    The top is next - has to be routed and have not decided on the shape of the opening as yet.

First Name
    Charles

Been busy working on the top, planning what I will be using in-terms of equipment, where they will be placed and so on

gadgets - DIY Sump -Build

the one on the far left is for the ATO and the water level is adjustable
    the one up front is for the dosing lines and you've seen the others already

No pictures of the top being cutout or routed got lazy. The top is currently under the carcass of the sump getting ready for glue and then trimming (that means more cleanup)

more pix soon

ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Awesome stuff Charles! LMK if you have any spares in regards to a 2 port probe holder!
    Keep us posted on this killer project!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last