[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

DIY Weir

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    EQCM2B - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default DIY Weir

I just got through putting together my first DIY Overflow. 1/4 inch cast acrylic and Weld On #16. I had #3 but no applicator bottle. I thought the #16 would be a little more stiffer than it was but we got to work.
    First question, is #16 as strong as the #3 or #4?
    Second question,After gluing it together I put a bead of it (#16) all the way around the assembly, will this help to seal and hold it together or was it a waste?
    Last question, I have about 10 linear inches of overflow (8x1x1), Will this give me the amount of flow I need for the 45 gallon tank as long as I have a pump that will supply it? (looking at a mag7 with 1" return from sump and two 1 inch supply to sump)

I will try to show pics. All critiques are welcome. I know that I still need to put the airline in the top of the oveflow along with the drains.

http://www.captivereefing.com/riched...870e7187e6.jpg
    http://www.captivereefing.com/riched...bfea472647.jpg

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looks pretty good to me, should work, only way to know for sure is trial by fire Drop a bulkhead in there and fire it up :p

The manufacturer for Weldon says the extra bead you used at the seams will not add any strength to the welds... By them, you wasted a bit, however I do the same thing on almost all of my acrylic work just because.

Critiques;
    Good choice using 1/4", most of my early models I cheated and used 1/8" for the bends and 1/4 for the sides to add strength... while it worked, after 18 months or so, the 1/8" became brittle, coupled with my clumbsyness I broke a few.

If you use black acrylic for the top of the U you'll find that algae will not be as big an issue with plugging up the works. When designed so tightly they become a real pain to clean.

The front and back chambers could be a little deeper to hold a little more water, but should be okay for 300-400 gph.

BTW test it in the sink or something first... fill both sides and the U, draw the air out with an airline and let it sit overnight and see if any air accumlilates in the U. If you find that you have an air leak, don't go back with the weldon.... it'll hose up your first welds... instead work some 90 second epoxy into the area where the leak is.

Overall... Looks great! Not to mention you get 4-5 shots at getting it just the say you want for the same price places charge for a 'commercial' U-tube and box.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

ok heres the question from a novice how do you bend it or did they bend it for you?
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

Sorry Carpenterwrasse,

I didn't see the question. The way that I bent this was with a heat gun. I tried to use the propane torch but it was to hot to fast and got burnt. The heat gun worked real good and I would think that if you had a STRONG blowdryer it would work too.

carpenterwrasse - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    George

thanks
    check this girl out she is a great singer

http://myspace.com/nicolejamesmusic

flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Update time how did it work?
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

Still dont have a sump yet, Will let you know when I do.

segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

what is this "weld/glue" you are using? I want to build a hang on refugium but cylicone is just too much "work" (takes too long to dry)....
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

It is called WELD ON #3 or #16 or #4. They all dry pretty quick, #3 and #4 are very watery whiule #16 is like syrup. If I remeber right they were all dry enough to let go of within about 2 minutes. Go to the site that these guys reccommend ,

http://www.melevsreef.com/

Navigate around and he will show you how to make the overflow that I made and what to use, (It is what I done). He also has many other DIY items.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last