[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

drill stand/port covers?

Bookmark and Share
    segraves1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default drill stand/port covers?

for anyone who has drilled the sides of their stand (either for air movement/cooling or for pipes to run through):

what did you use to "clean up" the holes? I'm trying to come up with some kind of "trim ring" as I need to run pipes to my chiller and also put some vent holes for air to move....

ideas?
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

How big are the holes that you've drilled/going to drill? Larger holes how about something like the covers that are used on desks that are drilled to accomidate power cables and the like? For smaller ones up to 1" or so maybe something as simple as a black rubber grommet to seal it up nice and tidy.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

hadn't thought about the desk hole idea.....those might work just fine...I'm running 1" PVC for the chiller but then plan on using 3"-4" holes for air movement
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

just make sure the holes you drill dont compromize the integrity of the stand. some stands are made with the wood sides supporting some the weight of the loaded tank. if the holes are to big and to many ... "TIDAL WAAAAAAAAAVE" !!

just to inform you not to stop you

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

If that is the case ovular holes in a vertical position would help reduce this problem. The same area hole would not weaken the stand as much.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Quote Originally Posted by jojo22
    If that is the case ovular holes in a vertical position would help reduce this problem. The same area hole would not weaken the stand as much.
    true, but those are also WAYYYYYYYYYYY harder to cut nicely and I don't know ANYTHING that would cover them......

I would think that worst case I could go in and install 2X4s into the sides to make the stand "stronger" if I REALLY needed to.....but my plan is to put no more than 2 or 3, 3" holes.....so they should not make that much of an impact in totall strength
    Chris

100gal show
    fish, polups, and LPSs

lReef lKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Bobby

i think i would go ahead and add the support. the stands we use are not really rated for the amount of weight we put in them. they are rated for a basic freshwater setup. with the amount of rock, sand, water, corals, and everything else ... i think it would be better to be safe than sorry.