[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Experience with MMLR

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Experience with MMLR

Anyone out there have any experience with MMLR (man made live rock) in any of their tanks?

Recently had a particular piece designed for me, but I am very hesitant to put it in my DT.

It is a reputable person, with a proven track record with making and using MMLR with no issues. Yet I am still a bit worried. It was kept in the makers tank for I believe three weeks. I have had the piece in my frag tank since the swap.

Every thing seems okay with it. The water tests out good. pH slightly low like a .1 or .2 low but thats it.

I have great faith in the maker, I guess I just need some assurance that everything will be fine with no problems.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

speedstar - Reefkeeper CR Member

I know many tanks that are 100% man made, running with no problems. I myself have only made custom rocks to use as frag plug holders. Never in the display.

ReeferMike - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mike

do you know what he made it out of?

First Name
    Rob

I believe, but not certain or on measurements, Portland, crushed coral, salt and sand.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    I believe, but not certain or on measurements, Portland, crushed coral, salt and sand.
    Normal mix sounds good to me, that is what i use aswell.

First Name
    Rob

Should I wait to see all visible salt dissolve first? I still see a very little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    Should I wait to see all visible salt dissolve first? I still see a very little bit.

i'd cycle it alot longer if you see salt. I thought usually you super heated the rock to melt out all the salt.

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

How long in the QT tank, if more than a week or so go for it. If not I would hold tight just to make sure it stays good.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
    i'd cycle it alot longer if you see salt. I thought usually you super heated the rock to melt out all the salt.
    Care to elaborate speed?

jojo22 - Reefkeeper Registered User

Depending on the size of rock I usually either put it in a tub and cycle the water daily (or more) or for small pieces I put them in the toilet tank that way they get fresh water every flush (with 5 kids that is quite often). But it you see salt (not where the salt use to be) then you have a ways to go, but it in a tub and heat the water to 90 degrees, it will speed up the salt dissolving process.
    Does water always taste like salt and poo????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last