[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Friendly Plastics, PCL.......

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    ReeferRob - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rob
    Awards Photo of the Month

Default Friendly Plastics, PCL.......

Also known as Shapelock. Anyone else have any experience working with it? Im thinking of trying some and giving it a whirl for both coral placement, but also on my re-scape! I ordered a sample of the stuff to play with, maybe some others would want to go in on a larger order? LMK Mostly curious about long term exposure to the conditions of a reef tank etc.
    Here's a little video I tripped across on youtube.com where she is using the stuff.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TnPL6CmmEM"]YouTube - Using PCL as a DIY Frag plug[/ame]

Also curious where she got that nifty temperature gauge!!
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

I would be leary of using any type of heated plastic as it will often release some type of gas...I dunno tho, she's used it and it hasn't crashed her tank. lol.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Rob

So PCL is Polycaprolactone, it does in fact contain <890 PPM of Toluene normally around 100 PPM. Many people have been using this as a NP reducing pellet in their systems with decent results. The Toluene is basically the carbon source that the "bacteria" colonize on and flourish.

I would say it will take two to three years to bio degrade in you take if used as a frag plug or scape adhesive. This product is also used in the dental and prosthesis industry for internal use and carries FDA approval.
    "We shouldn't think of an environment where livestock can survive, we should ensure an environment where livestock can thrive."-Rabidgoose
    "If it's gonna be that kinda party, Ima stick my ........ in the mashed potatoes!"-Beastie Boys

First Name
    Eric

Well, with that information, I would say its an excellent plastic to use.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Rob

a689880e c0a0 9a1f - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    Just arrived, time for the kid to take a nap and Daddy to play!!

First Name
    Eric

Probably gonna order a free sample of this when I see what you've done with it/setup the 60 gal.

---ETBReefer05

First Name
    Rob

Well I did a little playing today, nothing too exciting just a basic frag plug to compare against a new plug and how it react to algae growth etc
    Planing on welding a few rocks together maybe tomorrow to get an idea of how well it can hold.
    Here's some not so exiting pics of what I did today.
    Little pinch in 150 degree water, stir with something not plastic. Pellets turn clear and start to stick together pull and play. After about 5 minutes the plug was white again and completely solid.
    IMG 3844 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    IMG 3849 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    IMG 3856 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    IMG 3857 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    IMG 3858 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......
    IMG 3908 - Friendly Plastics, PCL.......

CR Member

I saw that vid and was very intrigued... then someone mentioned that it could/does release a fair amount of PO4. Not the end of the world because what doesn't (release PO4), but the amount would be interesting to see. You could put a plug in RO/DI water and test PO4 occasionally to see if/how high the level climbs over time (hint, hint ).

First Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by stunreefer View Post
    I saw that vid and was very intrigued... then someone mentioned that it could/does release a fair amount of PO4. Not the end of the world because what doesn't (release PO4), but the amount would be interesting to see. You could put a plug in RO/DI water and test PO4 occasionally to see if/how high the level climbs over time (hint, hint ).
    Got it will do........crap Im out of reagent for the Hanna. Hopefully they have them up at Kee's, heading out there in a few.

By the way I put the plug in the grow out tank last night. First observation, material is too light with out coral blows around the tank LOL.

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferRob View Post
    By the way I put the plug in the grow out tank last night. First observation, material is too light with out coral blows around the tank LOL.
    LOL, that doesn't surprise me too much. If this stuff doesn't leach to bad it could take the place of PITA epoxy and such. You mount your coral with just a little bit, then over time the coral encrusts onto the rock and this stuff dissolves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last