[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help making my 240g stand please

Bookmark and Share
    iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Help making my 240g stand please

Ok so here is the story, I have a 240g tank and pretty much everything else I need to run it except the stand, I have looked for one locally but they all want like $1k - $1.5k for a decent stand so I have decided to make one myself. How many supports do I need? will 4x4 do the job or should I go bigger? screws or nails?

TIA

Ivan
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

cubereefer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Ivan,

I am just finishing up with a build for my 120g cube tank. I used (4) 4x4's as legs, suported by a 2x4 framing along the bottom, and 4x4 framing (meeting at 45 degree angles) at the top. It is a strudy build. ALWAYS USE SCREWS when building for strength. I used stell 90 degree brackets in every corner. I have a corner unit, so I got away with paneling the back 2 sides. This is a must for support, especially with the weight of your tank. With rock, water and glass, your setup will be almost 3,000lbs. I would go with 6 4x4's as support with screws. I have some picks of my basic fram if you want to see...I posted this on a quick-reply so I could not attached. By the way, my construction costs were about $450 for my stand AND canopy; pine frame w/ redwood panneling. The redwood ran about $200, and was the same price as maple, birch or other hard woods.
    Good times to be had by all...all responsible for sharing good times...

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

You may consider having one welded up out of steel tubing and then powder coated. I have seen that done several times on various forums. You can the just add wood panels to close in the stand. Just a thought.

Several years ago I hear Mike Paletta speak at a conference in Sacramento. He was in the process of writing a book on how to build large aquariums. You might do some searching for it or you might contact him directly.

eldiente - Reefkeeper CR Member

I had a metal frame built for my 210 G. It cost me $300. The tank is built into the wall so the stand doesn't show, but I had to fasten a few 2x4's to it to attatch the front section. One of the LFS helped me find someone to do it, but anyone that builds guardrails for stairs or porches should be able to do it.
    Brian
    Twin Falls, ID
    210 AGA
    40 AGA

I am curious. What size metal tubing did they use for your 210 stand?