[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Help me design a new tank!

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Check out @jimsflies 29g bio-cube. That'll make your mind up for you
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com
    Likes dlhirst liked this post

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

Absolutely. I have no trouble with LPS and softies in the RSM 130D, and I am growing montis and even some sticks in the 250. However, you should probably plan to replace the lights on the one you are looking at... Folks don't usually replace lights as often as they should. And likely, never do on a tank they are selling.

Detroit Giant Bettas - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

The red sea one was sold and all the used broken stuff I can find on Craig's list costs more than new.

So if I get a new Biocube, what all do i need to get with it?

First Name
    Chris

So i ended up buying a jbj Nano cube 24 locally, it came with a pro series 28g LED hood (same size). Got it running now to cycle it...

Tank is as follows:
    24g jbj nano cube
    28g jbj pro series led hood
    100w heater
    Maxi jet 900
    Nano glo fuge light
    Carib argonite live sand
    6lb chunk of coriline-covered live rock
    5 hermit crabs
    4 snails

The lfs guy tried to talk me into doing another fish-in cycle like i did with my 3 gallon, but I decided to hold off for now.

Goal of the tank: clownfish in a host anemone. Although I might do some other coral later, it all takes a back seat to that.

need help sorting the fuge out, right now it goes overflow into two sponges (maybe putting chemi-pure in there when i can find some?) also have the filter floss out of my 3g to help seeding. middle chamber has a media rack, and i put my cheato from my 3g in there, in view of the fuge light. my heater is also in there, and then my pump is in chamber 3.

also bought a couple timers, one for the daylight, one for the fuge light (opposite light cycle), not sure how long either of those should be on. also have no idea what to do with the dawn/dusk lights. Moonlights stay on all the time (for now)

Things I have... said some of this before:
    extra tanks... 20g glass, 10g glass, 2 3g, lots of 1g
    Extra heaters... 30g, 10g, lots of 5g
    air pumps... lots, one pretty heavy duty
    cans of brine shrimp eggs
    extra filter floss
    FRESHWATER master test kit
    prime and stress coat
    Generic salt mix
    Reef crystals

current running tank to eventually be combined (3g):
    Unfortunately ran without lights for a while, and then the filter started to leak, leading to the loss of most of the life in the tank, including all the coriline algae. Got it lit again recently and it's having a daitom explosion atm.

HOB filter with rubble (also some amphipods and isopods hide out in there)
    crushed coral sand
    chunk of (formerly) live rock
    Green clown goby
    some kind of feather duster - like thing that came with a frag (lost the coral on it)

So anyway new tank is up and running, just looking for help moving forward. Thanks

MightiesKeeper - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Ryan

Wise idea on fishless cycle. I had a 24 gallon four or five years ago. I put a glass lid on it with t5s, pretty neat tank. I always wanted to upgrade to AIO with leds. You have a great start going, how about posting pics of your tank?
    I get bored easily and change fish and tanks like some people change shoes.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

One thing is you may want to put your heater in the 1st or 3rd chamber. When it turns on it gets pretty hot and your chaeto will not like that.

First Name
    Chris

Name:  10416615_10203818584443742_1421650232414269632_n.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  25.4 KB

need more rock, so i've got to start keeping an eye out for anyone selling for sure

will move the heater, but it's not real close to the cheato as it's in a media rack on one end of the 2nd chamber and the heater is a good 2-3 inches from it.

dlhirst - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Don

That looks like a fun size tank! Look forward to seeing the clown/nem couple down the road...

First Name
    Chris

thanks. Having a diatom explosion as of this morning. rust everywhere.

Can anyone fill me in on what my photoperiod should be? As in, how long should my lights be on?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I never turned mine on during the cycling period. Nothing in there that needs it.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last