[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Hood Upgrade Completed!!! :D

Bookmark and Share
    Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default Hood Upgrade Completed!!! :D

I got my hood upgrade mostly completed today and it looks and works pretty sweet. I took my 4 x 96 pc hood and attached a 2 x 55 pc hood (original hood w/ the tank). I used a stainless steel piano hinge to attach the two. The 2x55 flips up and rests on the 4x96 giving me access to the tank. I put in a push button switch between the two, so that when I open it up, the 2x55 goes off automatically.

I also added in 4 moon lights.

I have a few thing left to do, like paint the side boards black but that will have to wait until it warms up outside a little. The cost was pretty minimal since I already had both hoods. The bulk of the cost was in the moon light stuff.

I have been waiting to change out my bulbs until I got the project complete. I didn't want to break anything during construction. I am really excited to see how it looks with all the new bulbs. I had the 2x55 (10k)on for about 6 hours today and figured I would ramp up over the next week and the change maybe one or two 96 bulbs next weekend. I going from 4 x 50/50 to 2 x 10k and 2 actinics. Does that seem to fast, should I space them out longer?

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Looking good... now that's a true DIY'r, hack em together and they still look good. Whats holding the standoff's on the sides down to the tank?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

davejnz - Reefkeeper CR Member

cool,looks much better than when i tried tor tie 2 T5's into my old PC fixture.It looked pretty ridiculous,wish i would of took a pic.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

Nice red neck riggin's... I would be proud to call that my work. Awesome job!!!
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whats holding the standoff's on the sides down to the tank?
    Gravity so far. The boards that the fixture seats on are 1.25" wide if I remember correctly. They are very stable. I thought of using some velcro to hold them in place after I paint them. Knock on wood, I shouldn't have a problem unless we have a huge earthquake or something. Of course, I will have other issues to deal with at that point so...

Thanks for the complements. I am really happy the way it turned out. Any suggestions on the new bulb phase in. I was thinking 1 10k and 1 actinic to replace 2 50/50s.

Your new bulb scheme sounds like a solid plan, IMO.

Excellent. I'll change a set this weekend.

Git 'er dun!!!

Holy Cow!!!!

I used a light meter tonight to check light levels before and after I installed my second phase of bulbs. All of the measurements were taken from 12" away and centered in the hood. Here are the numbers;

Old Bulbs: 4 x 96 watt (all 50/50s) 18 months old = 13,000 lux

Old Bulbs + 2 new x 55 watt (10Ks) = 17,000 lux

2 Old Bulbs + 2 x55 + 2 x 96 (1 act 03 and 1 10K) = 28,000 lux

I have two more bulbs (1 10K and 1 act03) that I will change out in week or so. I turned my photo period down to about 5 hrs and I will ramp it up. I can't believe the jump. Once they get adjusted the corals should like it, I hope. :D

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Wow doubling the total available light, that should really brightne things up.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.